everythingthatshimmers

Any Experience With Dietary Supplements?

16 posts in this topic

The longer I am on stimulants the harder time I am having maintaining a reasonable weight. I am underweight, having increased migraines, and am experiencing overall weakness as a result. I am thinking of trying a meal replacement option or dietary supplement--do any of you have any recommendations, particularly in terms of taste? I am extremely picky when it comes to taste, texture, etc. I've considered trying Shakeology but it's so expensive and I doubt it's any more effective than anything else. I was going to try Slimfast once several years year (pre-diagnosis when I was a little chubby) but couldn't get past the taste. :blink: Thanks in advance!

Slimfast powder (NOT from a can) tastes significantly better over ice, specifically if you can blend it with ice, but even adding ice cubes into the little shaker thingy helps...  Also Carnation instant breakfast.   I also like making my own protein shakes with protein powder, PB2 peanut butter powder, greek yogurt, miscellaneous fruit, greens, frozen bananas, and milk.

Protein shakes are great and they make some that are specifically designed to fatten you up as well. I saw one at GNC last time that had 1100 calories per serving.

"Ensure" over ice or at the very least refrigerated. For you...Ensure Complete

It's not that they're high in calories, it's that they're packed with nutrition.

According to my hubby, the chocolate is superb, vanilla is OK and strawberry sucks. I gave him four of these a day plus whatever regular food he could consume when he was down to 150 pounds just after surgery...he had lost 80 pounds in the previous six months.

They are available everywhere...pharmacies, grocery stores, Costco and Walmart to name a few.

http://ensure.com/products

If the problem is appetite suppression, there are meds that can increase your appetite. Remeron, Paxil, Marinol....etc etc.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I think I am going to try Carnation Instant Breakfast and/or Ensure and take it from there. I've thought about making my own smoothies or shakes in the morning for breakfast but...you guessed it...I just can't seem to get up early enough. Especially now that I'm not all that hungry, who needs breakfast when you can sleep an extra fifteen minutes?

I know this sounds bad but the appetite suppression doesn't really bother me. I'm pretty okay with not eating much I just can't afford to lose much more weight and I don't want to have any adverse effects on my health.

Well make sure you get protein too, whatever you go with. Depending how much exercise you get daily you need anywhere from 25 to 50% of you body weight in grams of protein per day to avoid muscle wasting. It's rare in adults, but in some cases, chronic lack of protein can cause rhabdo which is deifinitely something to be avoided. There's been a bunch of vegan crossfitters that have found this out the hard way.

With a lot of instant breakfast drinks, there isn't enough fat content. You need high fat, so either add some oil, use heavy cream or buttermilk, or use a bodybuilding supplement. Otherwise, you'll release a ton of insulin in response to the rapid carb influx -- with or without protein -- and several hours later, your energy level will crash. You also won't put on enough weight with carbs and protein alone. So make sure you are getting enough fat in there.

So far I've tried Ensure Complete (chocolate) refrigerated and over ice and the first sip or two were okay but then I just couldn't handle it--tasted too medicinal. I bought the ready-to-drink bottles for convenience but then noticed the powder ones said you could add chocolate syrup to improve taste--I suppose I could try adding chocolate syrup but something about adding chocolate to my chocolate shake seems a little gross....

I used to work with the elderly and would make them shakes with ice cream and instead of milk would use their refrigerated supplement. I could try that too I suppose and just gradually decrease the amount of ice cream until I could tolerate the supplement. Or you know, just leave the ice cream. =)

Thanks for the comments about the protein and fats, I tend to have tunnel vision & think only about the calories.

Someone I met with a chronic low-weight problem used to just eat two Haagen-Daz bars a day.  I see that the one I linked to has 280 calories, 20g of fat, 22g carbs, 4g protein.  Not that I'm recommending doing it that way -- there are definitely healthier ways to do it.  But being underweight is as bad for your health as being overweight, so if you really can't keep weight on, bend the rules.

Someone I met with a chronic low-weight problem used to just eat two Haagen-Daz bars a day.  I see that the one I linked to has 280 calories, 20g of fat, 22g carbs, 4g protein.  Not that I'm recommending doing it that way -- there are definitely healthier ways to do it.  But being underweight is as bad for your health as being overweight, so if you really can't keep weight on, bend the rules.

I used to think that Haagen-Daz bars were amazing...and then I tried Magnum...made with Belgian Chocolate...my favourite is with Almonds. I also haven't had one in a couple of years so I think I'm due.

For fun, I clicked on their website...

http://www.magnumicecream.com/Products/double-peanut-butter-ice-cream-bar/default.aspx

....and discovered the new one with PEANUT BUTTER.  OMG! I'm drooling on the keyboard.

So, Shimmers, how about a chocolate ensure complete blended with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a banana.

I must be in heaven.

Thanks for this post!! I have found the replies helpful. I have lost about 15 lbs since starting Nuvigil. I have no appetite until about 1230p and I get my usual appetite back around 6pm. Then about 930/10p I am starving. I will eat late because I know I need the calories. I find breakfast to be the worst.

I have to force myself to eat during the day. My friend gave me a few premixed shakes. I was really excited because it used the powdered form and really liked it, but the premixed smells like formula!!! I knew I should drink it anyway so I added some Haagen-daz ice cream and some ice. I also threw in a handful of lettuce and some almonds. It made it more tolerable and I was able to drink the whole shake!! :)

I could totally get behind a Haagan-Daz diet, that may be the best idea I've ever heard. :D I had forgotten about these but they're actually really tasty:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Fortified-Nutrition-Orange-Creme/dp/B00E0SE1W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427602572&sr=8-1&keywords=magic+cup+orange
Also pretty pricey. I crave sugar and sweets incessantly though, was hoping I could tolerate something with a little more nutritional support than straight up ice cream but maybe I'll try making my own shakes or smoothies or something. When I was bigger, there was a time when I was hyperglycemic/pre-diabetic but the last time I had my blood glucose checked it was beautiful. I take a multi-vitamin but not sure how much I'm absorbing and obviously there are no calories (none worth mentioning). DeathRabbit, that high calorie drink is something else! I feel like I may've gained some weight back by just looking at it. :blink: Wowza.

Just as an update: So far I've had the best luck with Carnation Instant Breakfast with almond milk, it's actually pretty yummy. I had forgotten to consider the fat content though, looks like one serving has about 8.5g less than Ensure, bummer.