DeathRabbit

Music To Fall Asleep To

24 posts in this topic

I really liked that second song. :)

One of my favorite Ozric Tentacles songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVZxpoq166Q

They're about the only modern electronic music I like because of the jazzy feel and use of organic instrumentation alongside synthetic samples.

Interesting you bring this up! I've never been one to listen to music (very often anyway) when going to sleep. But lately I've been on a bit of a meditation kick - I don't meditate, because I usually end up falling asleep. But the music can be very relaxing to fall asleep to! I've mostly just been picking something on youtube, lol. 

Interesting you bring this up! I've never been one to listen to music (very often anyway) when going to sleep. But lately I've been on a bit of a meditation kick - I don't meditate, because I usually end up falling asleep. But the music can be very relaxing to fall asleep to! I've mostly just been picking something on youtube, lol. 

I used to never listen to music because I hated what I heard on the radio. Then when I was teen I went through the obligatory classic rock phase. After that, I got into a whole lot of progressive rock. I still listen a lot of progressive, experimental, and jammy music basically. I end up getting accused of being a metal head a lot, but I haven't really any particular preference for heavy music. It just seems like many heavier bands are more willing to experiment, since they were never likely to achieve widespread appeal anyway.

Ooops I might need to clarify - in my above post I made it sound as if I never much liked music - but I was trying to say that I never really liked listening to music while falling asleep. 

DeathRabbit- do you play any instruments?

My boyfriend has a similar interest in bands/artists with a willingness to experiment. He tends to listen to a lot of heavy metal/rock music. He plays guitar and is much more interested in the instrumental pieces. 

I have quite a diverse taste when it comes to music. In my teens I was very interested in pop music and then during my rebellious phase, popular rock music. But now I pretty much like everything - I like some classic rock, metal, pop, country, hip-hop, rap and even some classical and folk music. But I'm not instrumentally tuned - I pick what I like based on lyrics mostly. I don't pay much attention to the complexity of the instrumental parts (like my boyfriend does). I guess it's because while he is a musician, I am a poet :D A lot of heavy metal is good - but I always have to know what they are saying (or sometimes screaming) before I can actually enjoy it. Otherwise it's just a lot of noise to me lol.  And similarly, while I can sometimes sit and enjoy a song or piece that is only instrumental - it is not something that I do very often. And it really depends on the instrument - I enjoy piano and harp mostly. But it's hard for me to listen to a really long guitar solo. But I enjoy things like A capella quite easily - if it's well done. 

This is one of my favorites to listen to around bedtime:

Ooops I might need to clarify - in my above post I made it sound as if I never much liked music - but I was trying to say that I never really liked listening to music while falling asleep. 

DeathRabbit- do you play any instruments?

My boyfriend has a similar interest in bands/artists with a willingness to experiment. He tends to listen to a lot of heavy metal/rock music. He plays guitar and is much more interested in the instrumental pieces. 

I have quite a diverse taste when it comes to music. In my teens I was very interested in pop music and then during my rebellious phase, popular rock music. But now I pretty much like everything - I like some classic rock, metal, pop, country, hip-hop, rap and even some classical and folk music. But I'm not instrumentally tuned - I pick what I like based on lyrics mostly. I don't pay much attention to the complexity of the instrumental parts (like my boyfriend does). I guess it's because while he is a musician, I am a poet :D A lot of heavy metal is good - but I always have to know what they are saying (or sometimes screaming) before I can actually enjoy it. Otherwise it's just a lot of noise to me lol.  And similarly, while I can sometimes sit and enjoy a song or piece that is only instrumental - it is not something that I do very often. And it really depends on the instrument - I enjoy piano and harp mostly. But it's hard for me to listen to a really long guitar solo. But I enjoy things like A capella quite easily - if it's well done. 

No I don't play any instruments because I am dumb and didn't get trained growing up and now I don't have the time to learn. :(

I am also not one to listen to music while trying to sleep. It ends up keeping me awake, because I try to focus on it too much. However, I did go through a phase where... I, uh, liked to listen to Enya at night. :/

Actually, you know what? I'm not going to feel weird about that. I'm not really sure how people generally feel about Enya, but I like it. I grew up listening to her, and it always relaxes me.

I don't have time to listen to what y'all have posted right this second, as it is almost bedtime and I still haven't made dinner. But it's on my list. I'm intrigued!

Spolier alert: My music is weird xD . I am a recovering prog snob

Spolier alert: My music is weird xD . I am a recovering prog snob

Oh, don't worry. My uncle has exposed me to some incredibly weird stuff. I'll let you know if you beat it. ;)

I don't listen to music when going to bed, but if I'm going to be a passenger on a multi-hour car ride, my favorite sleeping-in-the-car music is Metallica, Rammstein, and Nightwish.

Flipside: I can't listen to those bands when I'm driving unless I'm feeling exceptionally perky.  It's gotta be partially pavlovian, but those bands can take any mild EDS I'm having and make it worse, especially if I'm using them as background music for a sitting-still activity like driving or sewing or homework.

I don't listen to music when going to bed, but if I'm going to be a passenger on a multi-hour car ride, my favorite sleeping-in-the-car music is Metallica, Rammstein, and Nightwish.

Flipside: I can't listen to those bands when I'm driving unless I'm feeling exceptionally perky.  It's gotta be partially pavlovian, but those bands can take any mild EDS I'm having and make it worse, especially if I'm using them as background music for a sitting-still activity like driving or sewing or homework.

Reviving an old thread, but I found it interesting that quite a few here noted that rock (heavy or otherwise) put them to sleep, which seemed odd to me.

Especially because I am the same way! I've always chosen metal to listen to if I needed something to put me straight to sleep. In fact, one of the only public "sleep attacks" that I've ever had was at a heavy metal festival. I suddenly became aware that I was sleeping standing up, only because I was bumped into by someone trying to crowd-surf; so sufficient to say, it wasn't a calm atmosphere...

Outliers indeed!

Reviving an old thread, but I found it interesting that quite a few here noted that rock (heavy or otherwise) put them to sleep, which seemed odd to me.

Especially because I am the same way! I've always chosen metal to listen to if I needed something to put me straight to sleep. In fact, one of the only public "sleep attacks" that I've ever had was at a heavy metal festival. I suddenly became aware that I was sleeping standing up, only because I was bumped into by someone trying to crowd-surf; so sufficient to say, it wasn't a calm atmosphere...

Outliers indeed!

I'm the same way too. Despite loving Meshuggah, I can't listen to them in the car or if I have plans to do anything. Their music seems to sweep me off into some other sleepy plane of existence. Cannibal Corpse used to put me out as well. As for my opinion, I'd be willing to bet the sleepiness comes from the lower tunings used in metal and also there really is a lot of bass behind metal. Another aspect to consider is that the music tends take hold of your senses and is generally kind of droning on. Heavy bass continuously pulsing song after song. A lot of metal dwells in the minor/ diminished/ augmented area of music. So the tones present in metal, though over driven,  are usually kind of down trodden, sad, emotional, strange and creepy, but still deep and moving. Poppy upbeat music relies more on the major scales and is stimulating in a more energetic, positive way. Of course there are exceptions to various bands and music is the most ambiguous form of art, so everyone has their own individual experience with it.

"Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks is an amazing book and explores music on a very deep and neurological level. 

My love affair with all things Metal started very early. That style of music provided tons inspiration and laid the foundation of my early guitar work. Despite my love for Metal, everything I write is almost always with the major scales. While I can shred, I tend to only focus on what keeps my energy sustained and stimulated.The dark brooding tones in minor, diminished, and augmented scales are enjoyable and I do dip into them, but if I only play in that range I will loose all drive to continue and will probably take a nap.

The beginning riff you hear in this song, starts with major chords and presents a kind of bright energetic tone, then moves into an augmented chord which creates a strange kind of dreamy tone, and finishes in a minor chord before restarting. If you go through the song, check out how the energy level changes along side the tones being generated.

I'm the same way too. Despite loving Meshuggah, I can't listen to them in the car or if I have plans to do anything. Their music seems to sweep me off into some other sleepy plane of existence. Cannibal Corpse used to put me out as well. As for my opinion, I'd be willing to bet the sleepiness comes from the lower tunings used in metal and also there really is a lot of bass behind metal. Another aspect to consider is that the music tends take hold of your senses and is generally kind of droning on. Heavy bass continuously pulsing song after song. A lot of metal dwells in the minor/ diminished/ augmented area of music. So the tones present in metal, though over driven,  are usually kind of down trodden, sad, emotional, strange and creepy, but still deep and moving. Poppy upbeat music relies more on the major scales and is stimulating in a more energetic, positive way. Of course there are exceptions to various bands and music is the most ambiguous form of art, so everyone has their own individual experience with it.

"Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks is an amazing book and explores music on a very deep and neurological level. 

My love affair with all things Metal started very early. That style of music provided tons inspiration and laid the foundation of my early guitar work. Despite my love for Metal, everything I write is almost always with the major scales. While I can shred, I tend to only focus on what keeps my energy sustained and stimulated.The dark brooding tones in minor, diminished, and augmented scales are enjoyable and I do dip into them, but if I only play in that range I will loose all drive to continue and will probably take a nap.

Meshuggah puts you to sleep? Man, that's hardcore.

The beginning riff you hear in this song, starts with major chords and presents a kind of bright energetic tone, then moves into an augmented chord which creates a strange kind of dreamy tone, and finishes in a minor chord before restarting. If you go through the song, check out how the energy level changes along side the tones being generated.

I see your AAL and raise you CHON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrhpqOx371M

Corrupted - Rato Triste

Black Mayonnaise - Canto 15

Taint - *BEEP*dom

Sunn O))) - It Took the Night to Believe

I like to listen to a lot of doom, drone, ambient, psych and noise when going to sleep. 

I have pretty a eclectic taste in music.

I know this is an old topic - some really nice songs here, though! 

The Twin Peaks Theme is really soporific to me. :)