Snortin' Lavender

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Well, not really...more like inhaling deeply. I read these two studies below (and there are others) and thought it couldn't possibly hurt to try it. I could sure use more slow wave sleep and less REM.

So, I bought some lavender essential oil and inhale deeply for about a couple of minutes before laying down to sleep. Been a couple of weeks now and I swear it's helping.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16298774

http://kiralipp.word...low-wave-sleep/

#2 Dan7Gray

Dan7Gray

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Metal \m/, tattoos, psychology, health, programming, fishing, and trying new things!

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

I actually do the same thing! It has a nice and calming effect. People used to sleep with lavender leaves in their pillow cases back in the old days to help them sleep. I also use peppermint essential oil when I'm feeling sleepy. I open it up and take a good wiff and I'm good for a little bit longer! It IS helping!

#3 TiredJenn

TiredJenn

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

I'm trying more and more essential oils and find lavender really calming, sometimes I add Eucalyptus oil to help open airways. I have seen commercial lavender linen sprays but haven't used them, I've been thinking I should look for a DIY spray since I probably already have the ingredients. The company I've been using sells Peppermint "beadlets", they're tiny little beads filled with the peppermint oil that are safe to ingest. They're super strong and usually help for a little bit, and I have fresh breath! ;)

#4 Dan7Gray

Dan7Gray

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Metal \m/, tattoos, psychology, health, programming, fishing, and trying new things!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm trying more and more essential oils and find lavender really calming, sometimes I add Eucalyptus oil to help open airways. I have seen commercial lavender linen sprays but haven't used them, I've been thinking I should look for a DIY spray since I probably already have the ingredients. The company I've been using sells Peppermint "beadlets", they're tiny little beads filled with the peppermint oil that are safe to ingest. They're super strong and usually help for a little bit, and I have fresh breath! ;)

Yea I made my own spray with 5-6 drops lavender in a small bottle. But now i just put a few drops into my fan I leave on at night and it circulates it throughout the room for me! The Eucalyptus is great for opening airways, I sometimes forget about it lol.  So the peppermint beadlets help you stay awake a little longer? I was under the impression peppermint worked more as aroma therapy.

#5 TiredJenn

TiredJenn

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

The peppermint is super strong, kind of like an Altoid but with out the sugar and much smaller. I don't know if peppermint oil actually has any properties that promote wakefulness or it's just that it's such a strong flavor in your mouth it gets your attention. I've read that peppermint is supposed to help with memory, too. With oils, you want to make sure it says it's safe to ingest, some aren't.

I like the fan idea, my husband loves to have a fan blow on him and we both like the aromatherapy, I just need to find a smaller fan than what we have right now.

#6 Dan7Gray

Dan7Gray

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yea that "strong flavor in your mouth" to get your attention is exactly what I do in class to stay awake. If i feel myself nodding off I pop a Jolly Rancher and suck on it. Pretty much completely wakes me up and gets me through the rest of class!