Preauthorization For Nuvigil

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 souskesagara

souskesagara

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

I was recently diagnosed with Narcolepsy with Cataplexy based on my symptoms since my MSLT didn't show REM sleep, and my doctor prescribed Nuvigil. But now the pharmacy says that my insurance company United HealthCare wants a preauthorization before they will pay for the medication, but I fear that I won't be able to get my medication for several weeks while the insurance tries to avoid paying for the Nuvigil. I received a coupon advertising that my first month was free, whether I had insurance or not. Could I just get the Nuvigil filled without billing the insurance so that I can begin the medication sooner?  

#2 rayraybaybay

rayraybaybay

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Rock and Roll, Vintage Jewelry, Decoupaging, Star Trek, Hiking, History, High Fantasy Books, Makeup Artistry, Tattoos, and Candy

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yes. With the coupon, they can fill the first month just like they would with any other Rx, but you'd opt to not run it through insurance, and the self-pay total would be $0.

Next month's Rx cost will depend on the status of the prior auth., unless you pay out of pocket without insurance.

In the mean time, your Dr's office will continue the process and notify the pharmacy of the decision (if your insurance doesn't), and next month's Rx will go from there.

I highly recommend doing this. It bought me a lot of time as far as the prior-authorization process goes, and saved me a lot of stress knowing at least I had 1 month covered.