Xyrem And Benadryl

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smileyh

smileyh

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Any problem with taking a half a benadryl a few hours before bedtime while still adjusting to Xyrem?

#2 browndog319

browndog319

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:stand up comedy, music, college basketball, football, baseball

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

I would really check with the Xyrem Success Pharmacists and your doctor before doing this on your own. Due to the antihistamine affect, as you know it's heavily sedating. I don't know if I would take anything that increases sedation without fully discussing it with your doctor and the pharmacists.

If you need something for allergies, there are drugs that work similarly that do not have the sedating affects that they can recommend, some OTC, some prescription.

#3 smileyh

smileyh

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Thanks. My daughter is up to 6 grams per night of Xyrem and is still having trouble getting to sleep. Any suggestions?

#4 browndog319

browndog319

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:stand up comedy, music, college basketball, football, baseball

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Oh boy, that stinks. I'm completely snowed on 2.75/2.5. Definitely talk to the doctor/pharmacists. You don't want to risk adding something without their input. They may titrate more quickly. Hopefully she doesn't have a huge issue with increased side effects.

#5 britneyadams

britneyadams

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Law student.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

I would definitely ask the pharmacists before taking the benadryl.  I've struggled a lot with my mind racing at night.  I've been working on meditating before bed and focusing my thoughts on positive things, like realizing future goals or thinking about the great things that happened that day.  It sounds cheesy, but a lot of my struggle was the anxiety that came from my side effects and not sleeping.  I'm a work in progress, but it seems to be helping!