• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Too Sleepy

Too Sleepy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, walking/hiking, watching movies,

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

I work two jobs in order to keep the roof over my head. I am also going to school so that I may obtain a better job in the future and won't have to work two jobs. The problem is at the end of my days I am exhausted and do not want to do my homework. I have started school online due to the fact that I am always falling asleep in classes. I sometimes wonder if school is even worth it because when I have my breaks I seem to have less stress and more energy at the end of the day. I do not know where to cut a stressor from and how to manage my N and work and school. Any advice?

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

You need more rest and less stress than the average person.

I also  have a strong work ethic and enjoy working hard- my I also pay the price. As demands on me increase, my ability to meet them decreases and I push myself even harder. I now recognize this as a destructive spiral.

I have tended to bite off more than I can chew because I have not understood my physical limitations.

A people living with Narcolepsy, we need to find a sustainable pace that we can live with.

You may need more time and more rest to get what you want- but you can certainly get there.

#3 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm working part time - about 30 hrs a week and going to school. In the past it worked okay but this semester has been horrible. I've lost my motivation for school and will fail my classes :/

With Narcolepsy it is super important to be in tune with your needs. You have to know your limitations. And if school is too much right now, then that's just how it is. You can't force yourself to stay awake like a normal person and we are less productive when we are tired. So you should keep in mind that whatever you do, know your limits.

Wish I had more advice, but I can't think if any right now... But I wish you the best of luck :)

#4 Too Sleepy

Too Sleepy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, walking/hiking, watching movies,

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hank - I am starting to believe that when you have Narcolepsy there is no sustainable pace due to the fact that at any moment a stressor can pop up and make the remainder of my day more exhausting. I enjoy my hard work ethic, I just wish my brain would too.
Exanimo - I am having a difficult time finding my limits. Probably because I have only been diagnosed a year now and prior to that the main stressor I had was trying not to fall asleep standing up. Knowing that stress sets off a sleep attack forces me to think of ways to reduce the stress. Any advice is helpful. Thank you.

#5 ruthie s.

ruthie s.

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

I did it, untreated - job, boyfriend, friends - finished in 4 years & made straight A's my last two years.......same with my Master's. But life beyond this became difficult, as the real world didn't allow for naps in between choppy schedules. Adderrall helped TONS ( changed my entire life, as far as having finally achieved real wakefulness!) once diagnosed w/ ADD halfway through my Master's....

Had excruciating sleep needs for 10yrs prior to adderrall, and now 10 years of adderall - with the past 2 to 5 years beginning to experience breakdowns in my functioning altogether, even despite this cherished " wakefulness" every day thanks to ADD. Just went to sleep clinic this year, and Narc. was finally diagnosed. Now I am treating the actual problem - sleep! - as the root cause of my chronic SLEEPiness.....so we will see. But I can assure you, the daytime stimulant will be miraculous for you with your work/ school loads. - -but note: for me, provigil does nothing but make me feel ick and yuck; adderall works 100% effective most days and no weirdness or side effects.....just an example to demonstrate where one or another may be the best for you too. ?