Photo

Hallucinations Not Scary

HH hypnogogic hallucinations hypnopompic hallucinations hallucinations sleep paralysis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kimpossible

Kimpossible

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:When I had energy, I liked to knit, read, write, and make stained glass panels. I have 4 dogs who try to keep me out of my bed.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

I only ever read about people who have terrible hallucinations.  I have never had a "bad" one and was never afraid of sleep paralysis even though I had no idea what it was.

Does anybody else not have scary times?

#2 rayraybaybay

rayraybaybay

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Rock and Roll, Vintage Jewelry, Decoupaging, Star Trek, Hiking, History, High Fantasy Books, Makeup Artistry, Tattoos, and Candy

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

I hallucinate about work and have associated automatic behaviors. I "hear phones ringing" frequently, and noises I hear all day at work, like my pager or my fax machine. It's not as entertaining to my husband now that I do administrative work ("typing", "answering phones" in my sleep), but right after college when I worked at Target for a month, I was convinced I was in the store speaking to a customer, and tried to "ring up" my husband's arm repeatedly.

I do get quite scary ones as well, more frequently than the benign ones- black shadowy figures, "hear" doors slamming, my daugher screaming, whispering voices, all those fun things...

#3 Kikisu

Kikisu

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

On the most part my "hallucinations" are more like dreams that are happening while I'm awake. It's like taking two overhead projector papers and overlapping them, being able to read both. I'm aware of the real world but may have dreams of walking or sommething. One of the only terrifying ones I had was actually at my sleep test to figure out if it was narcolepsy (I dreamed about a man in a wheelchair and for some reason I was convinced he was a ghost, which terrified me). Other times they start as day dreaming before sleep that lead into uncontrolled dreams that I can easily wake from. I'm not really scared of it, except that one time.

#4 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

My dreams can be as if I'm hanging out with, or visiting, my friend/s or family. 

Sometimes it's like being with people that I've not seen or talked to in years, actually hearing their voices clearly and interacting with them, as I/we would awake.

Conversing can be like it would be on any typical day for me.

Even, actually thinking within the dream conversations; I think perhaps they happen as I'm awakening briefly on and off throughout fragmented sleep (usually more so, in the latter half of my sleep).

Last night I had one where I was visiting a good friend, and he had done some renovations to his house, we discussed it along with plans of coming up to visit (even though in the dream I was already there).

We have been discussing such plans in the actual/awake state/world/life place!

The scary ones happen when I am stressed, anxious and/or pressured for whatever reason, even just having something scheduled the following morning can influence such occurring.  When they are scary, there tends to be some sleep paralysis involved, yet sometimes it's one or the other...

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I only ever read about people who have terrible hallucinations.  I have never had a "bad" one and was never afraid of sleep paralysis even though I had no idea what it was.

Does anybody else not have scary times?

I do not have scary HH. I sometimes hear music when waking up- like a song in my head- except it sounds just like the real thing. I have heard the phone ringing and remember the conversation I had. I have heard the smoke alarms and door bell. My HH are more like practical jokes that I fall for every time. The are not scary, they just make me second guess reality because they seem so real. I have made the decision to not believe anything that happens before or after I sleep.

#6 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

I do not frequently have scary HH which is why I didn't think much of it until I was diagnosed. I also didn't think I had sleep paralysis until I read Julie flygares book - where she mentioned most HH occur simultaneously. I have had some frightening HH but they generally do not happen unless I am extremely tired and have been fighting off sleep.

So my HH are usually just odd.. Like I'll have the sensation someone is in the room and I want to look but.. My head is too heavy (sleep paralysis) and usually ill just kind of make up a scenario. Not to give TMI but sometimes these HH become erotic or sometimes it's just that I hear someone in the other room, like a conversation. I usually think that I should ask them what they said after I wake up because I swear it's what I heard. In reality I just hallucinated it, and these conversations I hear are never accurate lol.

So the biggest thing that I have come to believe is that those who fear sleep paralysis, who have anxiety over the inability to move or wake up, will experience frightening hallucinations. Whereas those who don't find SP frightening, will not experience scary or frightening hallucinations.

In my experience this is also true; my scary hallucinations happen when I have delayed going to bed until I am just super exhausted. I hit the pillow and am immediately out. Then the hallucinations start, often not scary. But because I am so tired and I can't move (sleep paralysis again) I begin to freak out before the HH becomes scary. Like I realize that I have no control and all of sudden am afraid that the HH may morph into something scary and I won't be able to stop it. That is when the HH actually becomes scary. I'll see pictures, like a projector in my head, with music or sound usually, of deep sea creatures or just a big dark sea that is never ending (I HATE deep waters!). Sometimes I'll see scary figures but usually it's just frightening scenarios like caves or creepy spiders.

So it's quite interesting that the fear and anxiety about not being to escape the HH and SP is what might actually be causing the terrifying HH that many people experience. I remember my first HH experience from the age of 7 and it was a man standing outside my window. I freaked out and yelled for my Dad. But I don't have any memory of another scary HH experience until after being diagnosed when I would actually begin to psych myself out before I even went to bed, thinking omg what if I have a HH that is scary and I can't wake up? And then I would have them. All because I was experiencing that fear and anxiety of not being able to escape or wake up form the HH. Whereas if I am calm and just let it be, and make it into something of a dream, I am not bothered by any scary or frightening HH experiences.

Anyone else have thoughts on this theory?

#7 Aivilomi

Aivilomi

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

"So it's quite interesting that the fear and anxiety about not being to escape the HH and SP is what might actually be causing the terrifying HH that many people experience. I remember my first HH experience from the age of 7 and it was a man standing outside my window. I freaked out and yelled for my Dad. But I don't have any memory of another scary HH experience until after being diagnosed when I would actually begin to psych myself out before I even went to bed, thinking omg what if I have a HH that is scary and I can't wake up? And then I would have them. All because I was experiencing that fear and anxiety of not being able to escape or wake up form the HH. Whereas if I am calm and just let it be, and make it into something of a dream, I am not bothered by any scary or frightening HH experiences.

Anyone else have thoughts on this theory?"

That's actually how I handled mine even before my diagnosis.. Because my HH are often quite scary and vivid, I kind of just try to laugh at it or tell myself "It couldn't be" so I don't let myself get psyched out. The scarier the hallucination, the easier it is for me to realize that I'm just having one and staying calm. Because things that are this scary to me it is just "impossible".. The more normal the hallucination, the harder for me to differentiate what's really going on.. If that makes any sense.. 

In a way I feel like scary hallucinations prep you for a much stronger personality too since you have to stay calm through it.. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HH, hypnogogic hallucinations, hypnopompic hallucinations, hallucinations, sleep paralysis