Automatic Behaviors With Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Asksuzan

Asksuzan

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

I just found a name for my odd behavior at work.

Does anyone have microsleep or automatic behavior?

I have mowed my lawn, sweep floors, and potty breaks without knowing I have done it.

I pray to God in never sit on a trash can in public and take a piss.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately it comes with the package. At least you know what it is.

In my experience, it is most likely to happen when I know I am waaay too tired. It happens when I push beyond the point when I needed a rest.

Make sure you have a medication to help with sleep at night and you are getting a good night. And take care of your need to rest or doze during the day to prevent it.

Since diagnosis, I have taken better care of myself by not pushing past the point of exhaustion.

Prediagnosis, I had an episode of AB while on a run- when I realized what happened- I was in a different place and lost 15 minutes- it really scared me. I was running at a stagger on a road because I started the run exhausted. What could have happened during those 15 minutes that I didnt remember scared me into listening better to my body.

Make sure to be extra careful when starting a drive- especially end of day.

It is insidious that we dont remember these blank times, so it may be happening more than you realize. Preventing it is the key.

#3 Asksuzan

Asksuzan

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yeah I have a video system at my work. I noticed 3 times this week I went to potty but don't remember doing it. I remember saying to myself I had to go but don't remember going.

#4 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've been taking Prozac for my cataplexy and I notice that my AB has really flared up in the mornings since I've been taking it.

I'm wondering if the REM suppression of Prozac has an influence on this.  Does anyone have any input?

#5 ThreeHourTour

ThreeHourTour

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I haven't had AB that I know of unless talking in my sleep counts

#6 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

I haven't had AB that I know of unless talking in my sleep counts

If you are asleep, it is not AB. If you remember doing it, it is not AB.

AB is more like the mirror opposite of sleep walking- it is like "walk sleeping". You do (not necessarily well) routine tasks with no recollection of having done them. Essentially, your brain is asleep but your body is awake. To my understanding, it is only AB when it happens during waking hours.

#7 plexicat

plexicat

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

* BUMP *

If we need any reminder of how wonderful this website is, and the good folks on it make it so, every single time I do a search for something N related I end up finding a page of this forum full of real input and information. So thank you.

Automatic behaviour has been concerning me for a few weeks now, I can read something and at the end of the page I've forgotten what was at the top. I can read an essay or chapter in a book and to test myself I've been going back to re-read and I realize how much i'm zoning out during. I wrote elsewhere about re-watching a TV series just 2-3 weeks later and being amazed (and somewhat terrified) that I don't remember entire 10-20 minute chunks of viewing.

A nueropsych evaluation that I had showed that my portions of my short term memory had decreased to 1 percentile (which is extreme) and 18 percentile (which is concerning too) and yet my entire life (work and academic) circulated around my (formerly) iron trap memory. To quote from another thread, "worrisome" indeed.

Have many here thought about how much memory loss is real memory loss (dementia type) and how much can be attributable to the zoning out of Automatic behaviour. I'm awake, I think I'm reading/listening/watching but i'm actually dreaming. @Hank puts it well "walk sleeping" scary and makes me glad I don't/won't/can't drive any more.

Thoughts? Experiences? It's a real serious symptom of the big N.
plexicat -

#8 plexicat

plexicat

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

Here's an webpage with a description of all the "types" of N - by types they mean when certain symptoms in different weights within the illness: There's a section on Automatic Behaviour as well. http://www.aboutnarc...sy-an-overview/

plexicat -

#9 slo.mo.a.go.go

slo.mo.a.go.go

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Currently mainly interested in being as functional as possible. My executive functioning won Limbo championships past 2yrs. Yippee, oh so low it can go...

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

What neuropsych tests did you take?

My WAIS-III score for my working memory deficit put me in the less than 1 percentile also ( less than 1% of adults in similair age had deficit as large as my WMI score compared to my other index scores. This was before my brain declined again with increased sleep attacks despite naps and cataplexy increased.)

Forgot my other question....

#10 plexicat

plexicat

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:10 AM

I don't see that particular test "WAS-III" on my evaluation. at least not those letters.

My immediate memory  RBANS-A was 18 percentile, delayed memory 8 percentile to 1 percentile. Visual memory was 8, Working visual memory 18. Others were in the normal to superior range. Neuropsych guy kept saying it would be impossible for me to have achieved what I did in my academic life in this current condition. My 8 hours of testing, done 2 months before my sleep exam/diagnosis, and before I'd ever heard of or any doctor had ever suspected Narcolepsy/Cataplexy, was broken into 2 x 4hr parts saw me spinning through multiple cycles of zoning in and out of what I'm now pretty sure was a great deal of automatic behavior, cataplexic pauses, and sleep deprivation concentration lapses/memory loss.  At one point I was sprawled out across the poor guy's desk barely awake and clicking on things on a computer screen, no matter how hard I tried it was impossible to focus and understand, for most of the time after the first 30 minutes I was red eyed and frazzled wanting to curl up in a ball and get that nap...If I was driving a car with both of us in it for the length of the test we'd both have been dead a dozen times....LOL.

It's not his job, but of all the people I've seen about my problem, he had the chance to see me for 3 extended periods (if you count a pretty long initial meeting before the tests), not once did he think to bring up a chronic untreated undiagnosed major sleep disorder, He kept saying "OMG, is it early onset dementia/Alzheimer's? MS? Lime disease? ALS? Parkinson's????" (there were motor issues as well that seemed to really disturb him - as they've disturbed me).  He also said there's no way I have clinical depression, bless his soul, he said given the state I was in, and that I'd been declining to that state over 8 years without any insurance/treatment or clue what was going on; that I was the most positive motivated person he'd ever met.

But the question/s remain/s, if

1)  you're drifting in and out of automatic behavior (REM intrusion, microsleep, mentally and physically with the C) so you miss stuff AND

2) there's general memory issues that come from sleep deprivation/fractured sleep of N AND

3) the effects of EDS (if I understand it right some folks think there's a difference between 2 and 3)

4) memory loss from aging (I'm 53) AND/OR

5) the onset of some memory type affliction like Alzheimer's AND

6) other distractions like unexpected motor issues which will, invariably annoy/worry you and get in the way of attentive listening/remembering

7) a mysterious spot on my CT Scan that doesn't show up on 2 later MRIs and no current doctor's ever mentioned  (Report says small hemorrhage/calcification)

8) any other things that could get in the way interruptions, daily stress, performance anxiety, communication misunderstandings.

then,

How much is real memory decline?  How much is reversible? How much is permanent? How much is situational (see 1-8)???

Unless you were a normally functioning person, when could you ever be in a constant "awake/aware" state for long enough to a real split of these listed states and what kind of testing would/could split them off? I think a neuropsych eval doesn't / can't differentiate those and of course it depends which of the tests are actually chosen to be performed, there's a ton at a Neuropsychologists disposal.

And given the rolling tide of symptoms across an hour, let alone from day to day, how exact is a study like that? like the  PSG/MSLT it's no more than a snap shot of that moment in the chaos of time, and it takes a trained, perceptive, "awake" medical professional to interpret the flood of information/variables to get to the bottom of the patient's problem AND a knowledgeable patient to advocate for such a complete understanding. In the "McDoctor, Would you like meds with that?" culture we live in there's little wonder people are dismissed out of hand, misdiagnosed, and over medicated.

Real healing begins with understanding and being understood.

plexicat -

#11 slo.mo.a.go.go

slo.mo.a.go.go

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Currently mainly interested in being as functional as possible. My executive functioning won Limbo championships past 2yrs. Yippee, oh so low it can go...

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

All good questions. I needs to google RBANS-A but I completely empathize with your situation & the pivotal questions you are wrestling with. ...

...How much is real memory decline?  How much is reversible? How much is permanent? How much is situational......