Automatic Behaviors With Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Asksuzan

Asksuzan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

I just found a name for my odd behavior at work.

Does anyone have microsleep or automatic behavior?

I have mowed my lawn, sweep floors, and potty breaks without knowing I have done it.

I pray to God in never sit on a trash can in public and take a piss.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately it comes with the package. At least you know what it is.

In my experience, it is most likely to happen when I know I am waaay too tired. It happens when I push beyond the point when I needed a rest.

Make sure you have a medication to help with sleep at night and you are getting a good night. And take care of your need to rest or doze during the day to prevent it.

Since diagnosis, I have taken better care of myself by not pushing past the point of exhaustion.

Prediagnosis, I had an episode of AB while on a run- when I realized what happened- I was in a different place and lost 15 minutes- it really scared me. I was running at a stagger on a road because I started the run exhausted. What could have happened during those 15 minutes that I didnt remember scared me into listening better to my body.

Make sure to be extra careful when starting a drive- especially end of day.

It is insidious that we dont remember these blank times, so it may be happening more than you realize. Preventing it is the key.

#3 Asksuzan

Asksuzan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yeah I have a video system at my work. I noticed 3 times this week I went to potty but don't remember doing it. I remember saying to myself I had to go but don't remember going.

#4 SleepyDays

SleepyDays

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've been taking Prozac for my cataplexy and I notice that my AB has really flared up in the mornings since I've been taking it.

I'm wondering if the REM suppression of Prozac has an influence on this.  Does anyone have any input?

#5 ThreeHourTour

ThreeHourTour

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I haven't had AB that I know of unless talking in my sleep counts

#6 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

I haven't had AB that I know of unless talking in my sleep counts

If you are asleep, it is not AB. If you remember doing it, it is not AB.

AB is more like the mirror opposite of sleep walking- it is like "walk sleeping". You do (not necessarily well) routine tasks with no recollection of having done them. Essentially, your brain is asleep but your body is awake. To my understanding, it is only AB when it happens during waking hours.