Photo

What Kind Of Funding Can I Get For A Postgrad?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Benjaplexy

Benjaplexy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I'm in the UK and I wouldn't be able to study for a postgrad and work at the same time due to my narcolepsy...

Is it possible to get funding to support me? does anyone know?

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

You mean like disability?

#3 jobare07

jobare07

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

I'm in the UK and I wouldn't be able to study for a postgrad and work at the same time due to my narcolepsy...

Is it possible to get funding to support me? does anyone know?

Hey there, 

I am in the same boat. Are you aiming to stay in the UK for postgrad or are you going to try studying elsewhere?
It is really hard to find funding because of the narcolepsy as a reason. 

It is however, MUCH easier to be very honest with those you are working with now for an undergraduate degree. If you have very well developed relationships with professors and people you are around now, it can be to your advantage to not even have to mention narcolepsy, where they may write recommendations that surpass the need to explain the situation yourself for, say, a  normally funded post grad degree. 

If you have a system anything like the US, there are a number of scholarships for disabilities. If you can find a way to incorporate the concept of narcolepsy being an "invisible" disability, I believe it will also work to your advantage, because narcolepsy is something that others cannot see, and can often misinterpret. 

"You are so quiet, I almost quite forget you are suffering."

Good luck. I know it's not the best help in the world, but I actually work with helping undergraduate students in STEM fields, and haven't found much. I have learned that while funding is unusual, people who seek to complete higher education in this situation is far more unusual. Seek to be an example for all! :)

#4 Benjaplexy

Benjaplexy

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:21 AM

Hey there, 

I am in the same boat. Are you aiming to stay in the UK for postgrad or are you going to try studying elsewhere?
It is really hard to find funding because of the narcolepsy as a reason. 

It is however, MUCH easier to be very honest with those you are working with now for an undergraduate degree. If you have very well developed relationships with professors and people you are around now, it can be to your advantage to not even have to mention narcolepsy, where they may write recommendations that surpass the need to explain the situation yourself for, say, a  normally funded post grad degree. 

If you have a system anything like the US, there are a number of scholarships for disabilities. If you can find a way to incorporate the concept of narcolepsy being an "invisible" disability, I believe it will also work to your advantage, because narcolepsy is something that others cannot see, and can often misinterpret. 

"You are so quiet, I almost quite forget you are suffering."

Good luck. I know it's not the best help in the world, but I actually work with helping undergraduate students in STEM fields, and haven't found much. I have learned that while funding is unusual, people who seek to complete higher education in this situation is far more unusual. Seek to be an example for all! :)

Hey, thanks for the response

Yeah, I'm planning on staying in the UK for my postgrad I think. I have gotten a couple of good references from professors who don't know my condition, but competition for funding here is fierce and I feel that the narcolepsy takes my edge away from me. Didn't consider that it might give me an advantage for funding though, that'd be pretty great.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the help!