• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

Also noticed, my legs get a little wobbly if I'm not feeling completely awake, if I'm not deliberately forcing myself to walk properly.. looks like I've got a lil' jive in my step.  Pretty bad sleep intertia in the mornings too, staggering to the shower.

#22 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Also noticed, my legs get a little wobbly if I'm not feeling completely awake, if I'm not deliberately forcing myself to walk properly.. looks like I've got a lil' jive in my step.  Pretty bad sleep intertia in the mornings too, staggering to the shower.

The wobbly legs after waking up does not sound like cataplexy- at least not in my experience.

#23 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

nah, that's pure sleep intertia, I have to stand in the shower about 15 minutes until it passes.  was rough trying to walk down 2 flights of stairs to the bathroom at my old place - I wasn't allowed to use the upstairs bathroom, that was the roommates "space".  I've always had that symptom as far back as I remember.  Parents thought I was spending "quality time" in there when i was 13ish lol

the jive step's pretty common in the middle of the day, it's almost like i've had a couple of drinks.

#24 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

so much for the sleep schedule.  crashed friday, 11 hours of sleep fri/sat, and 14 last night :(  couldn't wake up in the mornings.  even had hallucinations this morning

#25 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Your sleep study is on Tuesday, December 3rd?...only a week to go! Hang in there. I know you feel like crap but, after trying to adhere to the sleep schedule, you're probably going to "pass" with flying colours and finally get some relief. Hopefully, there's light at the end of this tunnel.

#26 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Tomorrow's the big day, anyone have any advice?  I can already feel the anxiety kicking in, didn't sleep well at all last night :(

#27 Kimpossible

Kimpossible

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:When I had energy, I liked to knit, read, write, and make stained glass panels. I have 4 dogs who try to keep me out of my bed.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

The best thing my sleep technician said was that I couldn't fail.  Only she said it at my second to last nap.

Even if you have the worst sleep, they can still identify problems, so don't feel like you HAVE to have the best night's sleep or a"normal" (for you) night's sleep to be diagnosed.

Everything will be fine.  Definitely bring a shirt that opens in the front to sleep in - that was the one thing I didn't have.  And it will end.  It feels like you're there forever, but it does end.

Bring snacks and a good book and/or laptop.

Good luck!

#28 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

The PSG I'm not so worried about, it's the MSLT that's got me worried, I don't think I can fall asleep within 20 minutes, especially on command, my latency's normally pretty high, that's what's got me all wound up, but I guess so long as I show SOREMS on the PSG I can still get a partial diagnosis and try again in 2 years :(

Already got my bag packed, snacks, eBooks, iPod's loaded up.. 32 hours to go!

#29 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Bring a book and avoid TV as much as possible because it can be stimulating.

If the wires - especially the nose thing- are uncomfortable, ask the tech to adjust it. On my first PGS, the nose tube tickled me and woke me up. On the second, the tech snipped it shorter and I was much more comfortable.

For the MSLT, have a simple song, verse or prayer to occupy your mind. Sleep will happen- don't let your mind get in the way of your brain.

Bring some snacks and keep yourself quietly occupied between naps. Don't go outside or stimulate yourself. Your only purpose being there is to have your sleep observed- allow it to happen.

#30 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

Biggest issue with my first PSG was lying on my back, can't do it.  That, and being woken up every 10 minutes by the tech to fiddle with the harness.. one of the EEG leads was acting up on the box side.

I'll give it my best!  Already feeling sleepy, 10 hours till I start, wish me luck!  Hopefully in a day this will be behind me and I can finally have some answers, and move on with my life!

#31 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

PSG went well, no interruptions, MSLT "results" posted in the diagnosis section thread.  No REM detected 'cause I only slept 1-2 minutes tops in each :(

#32 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Atypical depression is the culprit, based on the events of today.  Back to the antidepressants I guess.  MAOI this time around.  I was so hoping N was the solution, seemed so much simpler.

#33 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

Atypical depression is the culprit, based on the events of today.  Back to the antidepressants I guess.  MAOI this time around.  I was so hoping N was the solution, seemed so much simpler.

Ok. I am trying to get this. You received your results and no N.

I am relieved for you that you have some answers. Do you feel like the Atypical Depression dx fits. Depression is now very treatable from what I understand so I hope you get some relief soon.

N is a real drag and awkward to treat. If you do not have it, I am thankful for you. Only a depressed person would hope to have Narcolepsy (HaHa).

#34 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

no results, but tech told me no sign of REM activity, and if there was any sleep, it was under 3 minutes each time, could still be N but inconclusive I guess... but looking into atypical depression, the muscle issues make more sense than C, as well as the hypersomnia.

not much else it can be at this point other than a mood disorder.  N would be a better diagnosis in my eyes, less social stigma, and a nice "easy" physical issue.  depression is pretty treatable, but my history of treatment was never effective - the sleep was always way worse on them - falling asleep at my desk every day at 2pm, iresistable, as well as other side effects from SSRI's.

#35 Kimpossible

Kimpossible

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:When I had energy, I liked to knit, read, write, and make stained glass panels. I have 4 dogs who try to keep me out of my bed.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Wait for your results before you throw in the towel.  

I didn't have any REM during my naps.  If your sleep is fragmented, that would also be an indication that you have narcolepsy.  Plus taking into account any other symptoms you have could tip you into the diagnosible area.

Chin up!