Photo

Cataplexy, As A 'loss Of Mental Tone'... Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

What do I mean by 'loss of mental tone'?  Loss of focus, clarity, limited awareness, thought loss, not control but perhaps grasp due to a fog/cloud intruding, brain freezes (not like when eating a snow cone), interference such as wave/tingling/rushing sensations in the head. 

This happens just as 'clear-cut Cataplexy' happens, although it is the mind rather than the physical which seems to be effected.  It results from emotions or hightened emotions due to interaction with someone I like, trigerring this 'loss of mental tone'.  It sort of increases and decreases in the extent of it being there, yet it is during what are those pleasurable moments of emotional interactions.  It happens when there is attraction, affection, love, intimacy.

#2 Kimpossible

Kimpossible

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:When I had energy, I liked to knit, read, write, and make stained glass panels. I have 4 dogs who try to keep me out of my bed.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Does this count?  When I lose my focus ("train of thought") and can't get it back.  The harder I try to remember it, the more I can't.  "What was I saying?" comes out of my mouth an awful lot.  And I can never remember what I was saying.  It sure keeps my credibility at a low level among my coworkers.

#3 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'd say if that happens when you're in a hightened emotioned conversation or interaction, or perhaps in a hightened moment of stress or anxiety, maybe then it could be related to some element/form of Cataplexy.

Simplest way that I can put it is this way.  

'attraction/love/intimacy related joy/pleasance' interaction   =   a triggering of brief, or prolonged; 'paralysis-like of the mind' (or perhaps I could say it is like my mind is frozen) rather than the physical

#4 Kriqit

Kriqit

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Learning.
    Science.
    History.
    Computers.
    Senseless stuff.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

I have these periods of time where my eyes are open, but I just blankly stare out and quit moving. Just kinda lost in thought with no real point to the thinking. Happens all the time when I get my sleepy spells