Asksuzan

Loss For Words Or Unable To Name Objects

53 posts in this topic

I'm speaking to my doctor next visit. It seems to be getting worse for me. I tried to use a fork to scratch my head  the other day and called it a comb. 

That scares me so much.

Yes I was more tired then normal but WOW

On 5/16/2016 at 2:40 PM, Asksuzan said:

I'm speaking to my doctor next visit. It seems to be getting worse for me. I tried to use a fork to scratch my head  the other day and called it a comb. 

That scares me so much.

Yes I was more tired then normal but WOW

I wouldn't freak out for a single incident like that, even if that's the sort of thing that often happens when you're tired.  Your brain made the connection because you were doing something with a fork that one normally associates with a comb.  You should freak out about word-finding problems if you have the sudden onset of global word-finding problems (not just one word, but inability to speak or find multiple words that you need to communicate.)  For example, if you're with a friend and suddenly they can't find words or aren't making sense when they talk, you should get them to the ER ASAP for possible stroke -- and don't let them dissuade you, even if they recover from it a few minutes later.  Do the same thing if it happens to you as well, of course.

Don't get me wrong, of course you should talk to your doctor -- I can't give you real medical advice because for all I know you're 80 years old and have had 3 strokes already, or suffer from some terrible genetic disorder I've never even heard of.  But thought I'd try to be a bit reassuring. :) 

It's a PIA losing my words and embarrassing when I make noises like "uugghhchherdggettt", desperately searching for the correct word. But lately, what I find most annoying is when family and friends won't allow me the time to stutter it out. All of my sentences are finished for me. Just give me a minute! A few more breaths and I would have had it :(