Asksuzan

Loss For Words Or Unable To Name Objects

57 posts in this topic

I'm speaking to my doctor next visit. It seems to be getting worse for me. I tried to use a fork to scratch my head  the other day and called it a comb. 

That scares me so much.

Yes I was more tired then normal but WOW

On 5/16/2016 at 2:40 PM, Asksuzan said:

I'm speaking to my doctor next visit. It seems to be getting worse for me. I tried to use a fork to scratch my head  the other day and called it a comb. 

That scares me so much.

Yes I was more tired then normal but WOW

I wouldn't freak out for a single incident like that, even if that's the sort of thing that often happens when you're tired.  Your brain made the connection because you were doing something with a fork that one normally associates with a comb.  You should freak out about word-finding problems if you have the sudden onset of global word-finding problems (not just one word, but inability to speak or find multiple words that you need to communicate.)  For example, if you're with a friend and suddenly they can't find words or aren't making sense when they talk, you should get them to the ER ASAP for possible stroke -- and don't let them dissuade you, even if they recover from it a few minutes later.  Do the same thing if it happens to you as well, of course.

Don't get me wrong, of course you should talk to your doctor -- I can't give you real medical advice because for all I know you're 80 years old and have had 3 strokes already, or suffer from some terrible genetic disorder I've never even heard of.  But thought I'd try to be a bit reassuring. :) 

It's a PIA losing my words and embarrassing when I make noises like "uugghhchherdggettt", desperately searching for the correct word. But lately, what I find most annoying is when family and friends won't allow me the time to stutter it out. All of my sentences are finished for me. Just give me a minute! A few more breaths and I would have had it :(

I have this too. Can't believe I am so dozy. Just said to my gp today that ham had been found in the freezer along with cheese. The ham had been sepetated and placed neatly in little bags and the cheese just chucked in. I never put ham or cheese in the freezer nor do i have a habit of seperating slices of ham! I forgot the names of things, place names, and forget what i am talking about. Going for mslt in nov but worried its the start of dementia 🤔😖

On 9/30/2016 at 5:40 AM, Enna said:

I have this too. Can't believe I am so dozy. Just said to my gp today that ham had been found in the freezer along with cheese. The ham had been sepetated and placed neatly in little bags and the cheese just chucked in. I never put ham or cheese in the freezer nor do i have a habit of seperating slices of ham! I forgot the names of things, place names, and forget what i am talking about. Going for mslt in nov but worried its the start of dementia 🤔😖

Nope, it's never dementia until you've taken out the sleep deprivation factor.  Sleep deprivation (which is what narcolepsy is, you're sleeping but not getting enough of the right stages of sleep) causes this stuff.

Hi Purpley, thanks for your words of comfort, they have eased my mind 👍🏻😊

I have this problem and it's getting worse. I mix up the same words consistently ("suitcase" for "sleeping bag", "karate" for "coyote"). I mix these words up consistently and don't notice, usually, until someone points it out. Like others here, I've worried about early onset Alzheimer's. I am 45 years old and other than being always tired, I'm healthy. I have not been diagnosed with N because I can't get a sleep study approved by insurance, though a lifetime of ASP and HH, along with increasing sleepiness, have me pretty sure I have N. I have a few other symptoms that have increased in recent years including ocular migraines and brain fog. I've always been smart and creative- a quick thinker. I have a master's degree and am a school administrator; I've been successful in my career. I only say this because I feel like I'm suddenly falling apart- or it's been happening over time but I've managed to keep it together and I'm not sure how much longer I can. These symptoms all seem neurological to me, and must be connected...but still a mystery. My PCP is not at all helpful. I'm sure he thinks I'm a hypochondriac with all these symptoms, but I just want answers so I can fix my life! I've always been a bit of a self righteous snob about language (it's always been easy for me to manipulate). I am the quintessential grammar nazi (yes, I know, karma...) Now I struggle with words, sentence structure, and spelling in ways I NEVER have. It's all very frustrating! I need answers.