Asksuzan

Loss For Words Or Unable To Name Objects

53 posts in this topic

omg, that happens to me all of the time! I forget things a lot.. especially when im super tired... but its not only objects that i forget, and its not really forgetting like you said, you know what it is but the word is lost...  you know how it functions and what its for you just for the love of god remember the name for it.

It's very frustrating, and i've been laughed at several occasions for it.

Word search...great term. Happens to me all the time! I will go through the alphabet in my head until I get a trigger. Sometimes works. Sometimes not. Can be embarrassing during a conversation while I go through my mental Rolodex.

I agree, great term because that's exactly what many of us do.

For the past 8 months, I've had this.

The conversations between my father (in his mid 70's) and I sound like a badly edited movie.

We'll pause to find a word, right in the middle of a story, then utter things like "well I had it" or even worse using words that are close but don't quite mean what we say. Once the word is found, the conversation continues. We both have ADD (wonder how I got it LOL), so a word searching issue doesn't help.

Thanks for that information Drago, I'm going to write those down. :D

I never realized that this was linked with being so tired! Seems obvious now lol.
I do this ALL the time. I call everything 'thingy' and everybody 'what's his face'. I have a pretty good vocabulary, but you'd never know it by actually listening to me talk.

Has anyone found any techniques that pull you out of the mumble jumble phase? :wacko:

When I loose my words, I just take a pause. I just wait moment. It is almost like waiting for a gas pain to pass- pardon the analogy.

Depending on the situation, I may put a tissue to my nose or gesture like I am going to sneeze. That is socially acceptable and takes about the same time for it to pass.

I hope that helps.

I do think finding ordinary "covers" that allow our symptoms to occur in a socially acceptable way is helpful. Once Cataplexy occurred in public and an annoyingly helpful stranger would not back off. I sat down and said "bad gas" to explain myself and the stranger asked no more questions and quickly left me alone.

I do not want to give out my medical history randomly. I do not want to raise suspicion. I do not want to be rude. I do not want to train the world how to manage my symptoms with me. I just want not to be judged for what people "think" I have- or what it is "just like" to them.

I'd like to say my issue happens towards the end of the day, as I grow more tired.

Unfortunately, as many on here have said, this issue can happen any time.

I think of a webpage loading, to explain how my loss of words can vary.

Sometimes they are right there in my mind and come out when I need them (fast loading page).

Sometimes they lag a bit, then the word comes up (like a slow connection speed).

And sometimes they don't come out at all, so I substitute words. (like the webpage is down, so I find another one to go to.). :D

The level of mental fatigue does play a part in this, but then again I can be fully rested and can't think of the term for a specific object.

Usually happens in conversations, and not by myself.

BTW Ferret, my wife says she found the salt shaker in the cabinet with the drinking glasses and plates.

That explains why I couldn't find it.

For me I hear the word in my head it seems to be the transfer of the object to speech that seems to be messed up. If your a geek it is like ICMP packet loss.

My mind says fork internally but it can't relay the information to my language centers. A bad switch or a packet storm is how I explain it sometimes.

I normally tell people I have N so I don't have to have them stare at me with that confused yet concerned look.

My two cents:  Ya...I thought "it" was early onset Alzheimers!  Because of the loss of REM for so many years, like a few of you explained, I tend to forget things, both long and short term. I also lose the names of obejcts on occasion.  I guess we won't know for sure if I ever develop dementia or Alzheimers!  My neuro said sooner or later he hears that question from all of his N patients.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.  I always felt like an idiot for not remembering simple words...or, I knew them, they just slipped my mind at the time.  I agree about the movie buff thing, I have that occassionally where an actor's name slips my mind.  Like I couldn't remember Jeff Goldblum's name once.  WHY?!  I'm constantly forgetting things too, and then I turn to my husband, hold out my hand and say "Hi!  I'm Dory!"  (the fish from "Finding Nemo" who couldn't remember things for more than 3 seconds).  >_<

That happens to me all time. I forget words, names, lose things, and say incomplete thoughts. I always thought I just wasn't the smartest person in the world and that why it happened.

On 2/15/2014 at 8:01 AM, Hank3326 said:

I just want not to be judged for what people "think" I have- or what it is "just like" to them.

YES. This, a million times. I hate when people compare what I'm dealing with to things in their lives. This is precisely what leads people to feel they have the liberty to judge us- because they can "relate." 

Not only can I not remember words (like that word that starts with a C and means "gigantic" and has some O letters in it somewhere), but I do weird things during the day that I can only assume are automatic behaviors happening during microsleep, because I rarely, if ever, remember doing them. They happen a lot in the morning:

I grab my pill bottle, but then never take the pill, and about an hour later have to pour it all out and count everything again to see if I took it. 

I put a dirty spoon in the clean dish rack and had no recollection of doing it until the next day when I went to use it (I live alone so I know I did it).

I put the dog treats in the fridge once.

I'll forget I chose a designated box in which to leave my phone, keys, or receipts, and then never use it, and forget I chose it until I open the box days later.

I make lists to try and remember things but then forget I even made the list (sometimes when I stumble upon it later, I remember making it, but sometimes I don't). 

I originally thought I was suffering from early onset dementia or Parkinson's, because of my tremoring, dropping things, falling, head drooping, and facial weakness. 

On 11/4/2013 at 0:57 AM, Asksuzan said:

One of the signs I have noticed before I have a episode where I fall asleep or zone out (staring eyes open but not aware of surroundings) is a loss for words. Example I can look at a clock but can't say the word in a sentence. I know what it is just the name eludes me. I end up saying things like "what does the thing with hand and numbers".

A fork become pointy eat thingy

I get so frustrated!

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you for posting this. It's SO FRUSTRATING in conversation, it makes me feel like an idiot and I worry the people I'm talking to will think I'm dumb. A long time ago I stopped engaging in conversation (unless I'm at work and I have to try) when that fog hits because it's just too exhausting and emotionally upsetting to say what I want to say and can't seem to do it. I'm sure people think I'm a B because I end up sighing and saying "oh just nevermind." Oh well? 

Can I ask you guys if you had these memory problems before you started treating for the narcolepsy?

This happens to me...I just call it "my brain being tired" haha

This has been happening to me with increasing frequency and frustration over the last year or so. I am finishing the last few months of grad school and this "forgetting words" and not being able to articulate exactly what I am thinking has really impacted my ability to finish my manuscript... 

So I seen a lot of people agreeing that they have this issue.

Has anyone found any solutions?

I typically notice that this happens for me between the times  of 3 o'clock in the afternoon until about seven in the evening but it can last longer.  

Has anyone else noticed it occurring in different time frames or does it happen randomly for you?

I also noticed that it does occur more often if I have caffeine.

On 1/18/2014 at 7:55 AM, Fisherman said:

Word search...great term. Happens to me all the time! I will go through the alphabet in my head until I get a trigger. Sometimes works. Sometimes not. Can be embarrassing during a conversation while I go through my mental Rolodex.

I'm glad I read this because up until just now I thought I was the only one to do the alphabet thing in my head when I can't remember a word or name.  It's extremely embaressing when I can't remember someone's name that I've known for 5 or 10 years and have said their name a million times before.

I keep saying things backwards a lot such as "let's go movie a watch" instead of let's go watch a movie.

anyone else do that?

I do that a lot. I'm not sure what the percentage of times that I recognize it and catch/correct myself is vs. the times that I don't, but I suspect    my friends, family and coworkers just let it slide  more frequently then I correct myself.  

!!!!

First time I remember this happening and being frightened by it was when I was about 20. I was standing in a friend's kitchen and they had asked me to move in with them for the next school year. I was asking if there were any household items they needed that I might be able to bring with me, and I couldn't remember the weird for dishes. I started out "Should I bring any..." I had to open one of the cupboards and wave my hand in front of the dishes and say "of these things?"

I still do things like that all the time, and it's super frustrating ...and usually hilarious if not too embarrassing.

With N, everything that happens to us is perfectly normal for someone who is sleep deprived. Our memory problems are simply do to a sleepy brain. When I am well managed, my memory is much better.

On 5/13/2016 at 8:06 PM, Hank3326 said:

With N, everything that happens to us is perfectly normal for someone who is sleep deprived. Our memory problems are simply do to a sleepy brain. When I am well managed, my memory is much better.

Yep, what Hank says.  Drives me crazy too.  I do a lot of supervision and teaching of students and I've always been terrible with names and faces, so I explain that up front with folks so they don't take it personally -- that's not such an unusual trait among non-narcoleptics.  But when I forget the name for some concept which I'm trying to teach, I know it makes me look like I don't know what I'm talking about, which is VERY frustrating because of course, I know exactly what I mean and can describe it perfectly, just can't think of the word.  Fortunately, for now, I can still joke about my "senior moments," not having had my coffee yet, or being an "absent-minded professor."  I hate to think what this will be like in 20 years when I'll be old enough that people will start to wonder if I have dementia.  Hopefully we'll have a cure by then!