Naps!

Sleep hygiene naps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

How do naps fit in your current treatment/management of N?

Since starting Nuvigil, I find that I do not take as many naps as before diagnosis/medication. Yay! But I still do require them from time to time. I am not so great with sleep hygiene; I am and always have been a night owl. I find it extremely hard to keep a good and healthy sleep schedule and I do not take scheduled naps. I do not need a nap everyday with my medication and so I don't feel they would be overly beneficial (though I'm sure the scheduled bedtimes would be!)

Before treatment I probably averaged at least one nap a day and it was usually the "crash" "zombie" "dead to the world" type of nap that lasts anywhere from 1-5 hours and it was nearly impossible to wake up from. Now that I am on Nuvigil I think I average only 1 (sometimes more if I'm overly stressed) of these zombie naps a week. I do take probably 2 or 3 shorter naps in a week. These naps are generally 45 minutes to upto 2 hours but are much easier to wake up from and generally more refreshing (I don't wake up feeling like I've been hit by a plane!)

I have found that the most effective (though not completely foolproof) method to insure that I wake up within that time frame ( optimally 45 minutes for ME) is to choose a unique or uncomfortable NAP LOCATION. Basically I sleep most comfortably in my bed- and find it harder to get out of. When I have a time frame (like needing to be at class at 7 pm but it being 5 pm all ready) I choose a chair, the uncomfortable couch, to sit up and sleep or even the floor so that I will be less likely to sleep over my allotted time and it's generally easier to wake up (due to a more restless sleep).

It's similar to how some people have an inability to sleep in strange or new places. I always had a restless nights sleep at a friends house or while on vacation. I am not familiar with the space and therefore do not sleep as soundly. As a PWN - I CAN and WILL sleep just about anywhere. But I have found some spaces and places to be more appealing/comfortable than others. These are the spaces that I tend to find I will oversleep or be unable to wake up to my alarm. But of course, there are days that I am just so exhausted my entire body will just sink into the lumpy couch - no matter how uncomfortable- and I will just pass out. And usually, wake up an hour into the lecture that I am obviously missing!

Does anyone else do this? Do you have better sleep hygiene with scheduled naps? Do they work better for you than unscheduled? I'd love to know what everyone else does!

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Interesting method of napping! 

My sort of schedule, or nap lengths at this point in time, seems similar.  There will be weeks though, that I nap an hour to 2 or 3 almost each day, but the last month or so has been more of maybe one nap like that each week and perhaps a few days with a shorter, less than one hour nap.

I've noted that if I resist getting into my bed and stay in my chair, or say am in a car seat or other place sitting, usually I'll rest my head on my arms hunched forwards.  However I do nap, uncomfortably and not in my bed, I tend to not be napping long and find my neck super sore and painful, very often such will cause me a headache.  So, getting into my bed is priority number one if I'm in "crash, zombie, dead to the world" head nodding with out control, mode.

Because I don't have many things scheduled and live pretty much unscheduled, however long my nap/s turn out to be, they turn out to be.  In the past, just trying to set an alarm can actually wake me up, or cause me to not fall asleep once I make it to the bed, for the nap.

I've thought that perhaps having like a simple kitchen timer, could be the trick to short naps, as their just a simple turn, to set?...  Beyond that, not sure what else to say.

#3 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I don't nap well, at all.  I feel really really bad about it, it feels like "giving up", but I get really disoriented after I nap the once a week I do it.  2 years ago I'd come home from work and nap for 2 hours, not so much anymore but I'm a lot more physically active, and I just end up laying in bed from about 7pm until I can't keep my eyes open.  Usually get a sleep attack around 8 and I might drift off for a few minutes.

At my last sleep clinic visit I fell asleep on the bus, and almost fell asleep sitting with the doc's assistant waiting to see him.  Also fell asleep in my GP's office on my last visit, she didn't see that as justification for a stimulant even with the results of my study in her hand.  I'd really like to take one today.

#4 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Naps are a learned behaviour in the same way that going to bed at a certain time and getting up is a learned behaviour.
I live by 'em and I don't EVER miss them. I sleep from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. and I nap from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. EVERY DAY. I may think that I'm not tired but I go to bed anyway and am always asleep within 2 minutes. I never use alarms and always wake up exactly as stated above.
Because I do this as a schedule, I know the time frames when I can do something (in other words "function"). If I don't do it, I'm worse than a tired two year old...cranky, peevish and out of sorts. Provigil has made no difference to my sleep/nap schedule. Works for me.

#5 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

I've given up on using naps to control sleepiness in general. I have to "nap" for at least 2-4 hours to feel like I'm any less sleepy/groggy, regardless of how much I slept the night prior. Plus I just don't have time for naps, or really any kind of break, these days. Instead, I just stay awake and working until it gets incredibly difficult for me to think clearly. At that point I take a 30 minute nap and wake up still feeling like crap but coherent enough in my thoughts to continue working until my usual bed time. Thank goodness I'm interested in what I'm doing right now, because re-reading what I just wrote it sounds like a horrible way to live... I'm still trying out different drug combinations though, so fingers crossed that one eventually works well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sleep hygiene, naps