Photo

I Have Narcolepsy- Yes!!!! Help With Nightmares?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sleepyammo

sleepyammo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Race walking, ocean swimming, hiking and sleeeeeping!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hello Friends!!

I am so excited to read all these posts and find people I can talk with about Narcolepsy. The only thing I knew about the diagnosis, was from the movie - Shallow Hal. I didn't realize there was more to it than cataplexy.

Today, I saw an excellent Pulmonary DR who confirmed I have Narcolepsy. I have another sleep study scheduled, but he told me regardless of the results, he will begin treatment for me. I have a medical file about 3 feet high of blood tests, MRIs, CT-Scans, notes from: Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Rheumatology  etc. Everyone dismissed my fatigue to depression, my fear of going to parties ( because I never knew when I would fall asleep) as social anxiety. With sleep paralysis (now I know the term) I was told I exercised too much and it was from lactic acid. LOL . I really thought I was a hypochondriac, since the meds did not work.

It appears meds will help with my sleepiness, but not with the awful dreams. I currently take Trazadone 50mg, which helps me to NOT fall into REM, so no Boogie Man. I was told that I should stop the Trazadone. I am in tears knowing the nightmares will come back and not knowing if something was real or just a dream.  As you know, once I wake up and able to move my body, I feel as if I had a stroke. I don't want that to happen 2-3 per week ( or night) like before. It scares the crap out of me.

Is there anything you have found to help fight off the Boogie Man?

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

This is definitely a great place.  You can, best of all learn, but also can listen/read, speak, vent, participate, sit back and explore.

As you learn more about the disease, typically I think (for me such changed everything), you learn to recognize and understand better all aspects of the symptoms and/or living with it.

Not sure my approach, or advice, will be helpful with the dreams (Boogie Man)?  But, I'll throw it out there anyways.

Relaxing is key, I know such is difficult.  Part of that is being able to note in your mind, that it is a dream, and/or a part of the disease.  If you can note such, during the dream or as you come in and out of it, then the entire dream changes.

Also, perhaps try an reflect on what occurred in the dream, once you've awoken, think about how it may or may not relate to you/your life.  They seem to always play on some fear, if you can recognize that, the fear of whatever, then when whatever is causing such fear, you can begin to alter your perspective/angle of how the fear effects you (it's like taking a big breath when you're clenched up not breathing). 

For me, I noted that if I'm stressed or anxious, or have some upcoming pressure (the following day or days away), that I will more often than not experience some odd hypnagogic dream.  Yet, just in knowing and recognizing that I'm stressed, or whatever pressured, it really helps to prevent or minimize whatever bad dream occurrence.  I think it has to do, somehow, with the subconscious; obviously the dreams occur due to there being no barrier, a mix so to speak, between the sleep and the awake state/s, I think you could throw into the mix the conscious and subconscious state/s...

If I can get an eye to open enough to peek out of it, or I can just recall the word Narcolepsy or Hypnagogic, and the most important thing knowing that I'm just in bed, completely safe; then the dreams seem to actually become fun and wacky, lucidly deep.   No idea, if what I've said is very interpretable and/or of use to any other.!  I tried.

The best of luck. 

#3 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

when, at first, you realize you are dreaming, look at your hands (in the dream) to begin to control your dream.  I found this helpful.

got this from a hip cuban dude  named Richard moore.  he was into yaqui indian spirituality.  taught me about 'way of the impeccable warrior'.  ex-marine; 'nam vet.  good dude.

#4 sleepyammo

sleepyammo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Race walking, ocean swimming, hiking and sleeeeeping!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Wow, that is great advice from both of you! From what you said, with practice I can take control of it, beat it, or at least have some control.It's always the same dark shadow, I shiver as if in an ice box and hear sounds as if in a tunnel. I will wake up and when I fall asleep, it starts as if I paused a movie. I will try to use the hand technique!!!  Yes, I can see how stress can wear us down. My family and I talked about it, and I plan to make some changes.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to offer some advice :D

#5 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Why do you need to stop taking trazodone? Just because it's so sedating?

#6 Sleeping Beauty2

Sleeping Beauty2

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I have noticed since taking an old school tricyclic antidepressant 3 times a day my sleep paralysis episodes have greatly diminished and the boogie man has for the most part left the building. I still have very vivid dreams but they are usually odd and a lot of times work related. Gone for the most part are the scary dreams that would wake me frequently.