MlleMarielle

Hallucination Question

45 posts in this topic

Sleep paralysis and HH have been posited as possible reasons for episodes of demon possession, alien abduction, etc.

omg!!! I'm so happy that i found this website, all of you people understand my life and are living it! I feel bad for us, but I'm happy that we aren't completely alone. I used to feel so extremely crazy.. My dad is a paranoid schizophrenic, and when my parents were together before the remarried they always just assumed that i might have had a slight case of that... But now I see that all of that could be linked in with my Narcolepsy..

Mine are usually auditory- cat meowing, someone calling my name, alarm going off, kettle boiling, phone ringing. That sort of thing. They are usually fairly brief though can be confusing. Sometimes they hit when I'm awake but feeling very sleepy- probably the scariest was when I was driving down the road behind a van... and then the van vanished. Turned out I'd just been hallucinating it.

Just had a hypnopompic tactile hallucination. Felt a cat walking over my feet.... Then a hand grab my face . Ahhh!

I think I've had tactile ones before, but they may have just been myclonic jerks. They felt like someone poked me and then I jerked in response.

I don't think I've ever had an auditory hallucination, mine seem to all be visual. I'll very often see things moving, when I focus on them they stop. Most of my hypnogogic hallucinations are of balloons or bugs. I have no idea why those are such common themes for me. At least they don't usually scare me.  

Trippy thread!  I'll Second That Emotion!  Me too.  Been seeing what looks like raindrops inside.  Sometimes it's my hair with light shining on it!  Other times looks like crystal rain coming down.  Pleasant.  I've been working on this mahogany booth for awhile now by just relaxing my focus and imagining that I am not what I used to think but instead the thing that is observing the experience and some remarkable things start to happen.  People are afraid of their own minds.  It is true.  But there is no good reason to be afraid of your own mind.  Even if you hallucinate!

Yikes, I am starting to feel a little grateful that mine are only bugs and small animals...

Actually, phantom cats and bugs used to be it for me too.  Still have cat ones even though haven't had cats for 2 years!

Omg!!! I never realized that bug feeling or phantom cat was connected to my narcolepsy!!! I have three cats here at home, they do sleep in my bed with me sometimes... Well one sleeps with me almost every night...

But what I'm getting at, I'll feel a "cat" jump on my bed and walk around... But then I look and there is no effing cat... Happens every single day. Sometimes it freaks me out and I get scared that there is a ghost kitty in my room watching me sleep.

Also I feel itchy at night because I feel "bugs" but there is nothing freaking there... Once I washed my bed everything in hot water several times and it felt good for about 5sec because the dryer made everything toasty, but then it came back.

I've been having hallucinations every night for the past month.. about 5-10 mins after I close my eyes I get a flash of light, like lightning has struck or someone flipped on the lights.  jars me awake, happens for about 30 mins until I fall asleep.  been hearing a loud bang sometimes, but no light.

I see lights.  I sometimes open my eyes to see where it's coming from.

I sometimes see faces forming while my eyes are closed but I'm awake.  They're usually unicolor (greenish) but obviously faces.  Sometimes I'll see an actual scene.  I remember the first time it happened.  I was on a train when I was 11 or 12.  I closed my eyes and saw a family eating dinner.  It was like looking into a window because they were doing this but there was also a border of blackness (like you'd normally see when you close your eyes).  This was happening while I was hearing my actual surroundings, still feeling my body, and knowing I could open my eyes and hopefully make it stop.

Another thing which I never thought of or realized until reading this thread: If I look at repeating patterns like a hotel carpet or uniform color like a painted wall while I'm especially tired, it starts to appear to move just like a curtain blowing in the wind or a ripple of water.  I always though this was normal and part of eye exhaustion...Up until just now.  I still haven't been diagnosed but I don't know what else could give me these experiences, anymore.  Ugh.

I had that too, when I was 3-4, I had a pattern wallpaper that'd freak me out at night, and I'd keep seeing the wavy pattern when I looked away.  It was a criss-cross pattern, almost like rain streaks on a windshield, going / and \ about an inch long

I think maybe electromagnetic fields cause sensations like prickling tingling itching pins and needles.  It's wifi and other radio frequency radiation!  But it all happens to me too.  And nausea. And headaches.  I live in a wifi nightmare!  My friend committed suicide partly due to wifi!  It's bad stuff.  Avoid it like the plague.  Do you know where it is safe to sit in your home?  There are better spots and worse spots.  Nausea is the strongest symptom.  And hallucination.  And like vibrating shaking shakey feeling of intoxication that most people seem to mistake for normal.  It makes my heart beat so fast.  I've been afraid that it was going to stop.  Electrosensitivity is common.  Inform yourself!

I think maybe electromagnetic fields cause sensations like prickling tingling itching pins and needles.  It's wifi and other radio frequency radiation!  But it all happens to me too.  And nausea. And headaches.  I live in a wifi nightmare!  My friend committed suicide partly due to wifi!  It's bad stuff.  Avoid it like the plague.  Do you know where it is safe to sit in your home?  There are better spots and worse spots.  Nausea is the strongest symptom.  And hallucination.  And like vibrating shaking shakey feeling of intoxication that most people seem to mistake for normal.  It makes my heart beat so fast.  I've been afraid that it was going to stop.  Electrosensitivity is common.  Inform yourself!

Why are you hijacking this thread with this stuff. So sorry about your friend- I think it is safe to assume there was a waaaayyy lot more than wifi going on there.

Just out of curiosity- are you taking Xyrem during the day?

Wish I would have read this thread earlier. Have this crap all the time and never really understood what it was until now. I don't really "see" anything while awake per se, but I do notice shadows moving in the corner of eyes but I never actually see anything. I hear noises all the time though. Music, beeps, people talking, the works. I have the hallucinations all the time too when I'm falling asleep at night, the light flashes people in this thread are talking about being the most common. I also end up seeing a blurry figure forming in my window curtains that begins to reach out at me and I end up flying out of bed yelling at the curtain and running into another room and pacing until I realize what was happening.

Here is the thing with N hallucinations, they are REM related and only happen when falling asleep or waking up. They are not like psychotic hallucinations which are entirely different.

If you are experiencing HH during the day, is this happening when you are sleepy or bored or thinking or relaxing.

You may be on the verge of sleep more often than you are aware.

What medications are you on and have you recently come discontinued any. Sometimes this can play a role.

Just atenolol for my blood pressure. I was also being treated for Sleep Apnea(only 5 events an hour, even) for the past two months with a CPAP and that thing made everything even worse to the point that I had to burn all of my PTO at work and stop using the thing altogether. I went from having Sleep Paralysis and the Hallucinations maybe once a week at most to it being a nightly occurrence with the CPAP. 

PTO, you must work for the government (or a gov't contractor). :D Everywhere else, I've just heard it called vacation/sick leave.

PTO, you must work for the government (or a gov't contractor). :D Everywhere else, I've just heard it called vacation/sick leave.

Nah, I work for a civilian company that doesn't do anything with the goverment.