• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 MlleMarielle

MlleMarielle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hello,

I was only diagnosed about nine months ago, and am still getting used to and learning about all my symptoms.

Question regarding hallucinations:

I understand hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, that they occur in bed while you're between sleeping and waking. My question is about hallucinations at other points in the day.  For example, when you are awake, but really, really exhausted and trying to stay awake, does anyone ever have minor hallucinations then?  I've been finding that, as I get more tired, first my sensory awareness gets fuzzy.  I become hypersensitive usually.  Then I've begun finding that sometimes, my vision becomes... odd.  I'm not seeing full hallucinations, but often times flashes of things out of the corner of my eye, or the texture of surfaces changes.  Do narcoleptics start to hallucinate sometimes even before they've fallen asleep?

Thank you!

#2 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yup, a hypnagogic hallucination can occur while you're awake if you're sleep deprived (which most of us are).  Most of mine are hypnopompic, though, I used to hear music or a radio as hypnagogic as I was falling asleep years ago.

#3 b.chrissie@yahoo.com

b.chrissie@yahoo.com

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

Prior to my diagnosis, I started to think I was going nuts. I was genuinely concerned. I would see shadows out of the corner of my eye, most often shadows of what appeared to be an animal running away or a person. I learned after diagnosis that it is because of sleep deprivation. And thank you for posting, always good to know you're not alone.

#4 lyssy813

lyssy813

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:NASA/NACA history, aerospace engineering, aerospace technology, the original 1828 Websters Dictionary, people.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

I've experienced the same thing. The shower curtain appears to be moving in waves (subtly), etc. And also, I experience hypnogogic hallucinations regularly, if not daily (so often and for so long and didn't realize it was abnormal - I thought it was a normal characteristic of falling asleep for everyone) however, when a psychiatrist and I first stumbled upon the possibility of N, she did mention that seeing things out of the corner of your eye is pretty much normal for everyone but it is more common the more sleep deprived or stressed one is. She didn't offer an explanation, though...

#5 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

bloody hell

Why didn't I realize this before.  I just blew my mind lol

When I was like, 3, my parents changed the wallpaper in my room to some criss-cross pattern.  I remember freaking out at bedtime because the pattern kept jumping off of the walls to attack me.

Was I having HH that far back?

#6 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Very well could be, ironhands.

Some of the very first memories I can recall, are of Cataplexy, my arms being non-responsive when laughing intensely while being tickled in the belly.

I also have an odd memory of something, an injury occurrence, that never actually occurred; was definitely an HH. 

And, possibly an HH that sort of replayed a few or many different times, at different points, sinking it in as though it actually occurred.

#7 sleepyammo

sleepyammo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Race walking, ocean swimming, hiking and sleeeeeping!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

God I love this site! I also hear faint music and walk around the room, just to find nothing. I also get very blurry vision, as if I put a gel in my eyes. Do you guys think this is a precursor? What I mean, is that there are days/week when I began to sleep 18-20 hours a day. If it is, I wonder what I/we could do stop it from intensifying EDS? 

#8 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I was hearing faint music nightly on paxil, it was like a radio, kind of muffled and not tuned in perfectly, sometimes it was just like a mumbling announcer too.  Don't hear it as much now, but once in a while.  Lately it's been mostly visual when I wake up, and the back of my head feels tingly when i eventually wake up.

#9 metalman76

metalman76

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

My mother once told my wife that about half of the childhood memories I have never happened. I also remeber conversations that I am told never happened.

#10 Sleeping Beauty2

Sleeping Beauty2

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

Woah. I never thought about it until reading this but I too as a kid would panic if anyone tried to tickle me because my legs wouldn't move. I do still see flashes in the corners of my eyes as well. Usually it happens when I'm trying to drive home from work and the stimulants have long left my brain. I often think it looks like bats flapping into my field of vision. There is also a mailbox on my drive home that the homeowner has attached a stupid brown bear cutout to so it looks like there is a bear standing on the side of the road. It so often appears to me like a person is getting ready to walk out in front of me I get startled and swerve. I even know it's there. One of these days I'd love to chainsaw it down. If I knew how to chainsaw.

#11 MlleMarielle

MlleMarielle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Oh this is so comforting, thank you!  Ugh okay I can deal with all this trippiness as long as I know I'm not alone or nuts.  Just like you all, I totally have memories of hallucinating so much as a kid and I was so scared for years that I had a serious mental problem!

#12 MlleMarielle

MlleMarielle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

And lyssy813 I have the exact same shower curtain hallucination!

#13 jmb521

jmb521

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Would you consider waking up thinking someone called your name, only to find out that no one is there?

It appears to be random but I have woken up, thinking that my dad was calling my name. I get out of bed, walk into the hall and everyone in the house is asleep. 

It has happened when I took a nap at work in the break room. I thought someone was calling my name. Woke up and no one was there.

It was happening every few months but I've noticed that it has been happening more often recently. 

I was just diagnosed on tuesday with IH

#14 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Sounds like a classic aural hallucination to me!

I had a weird one last night, I woke up around 1am, my eyes were twitching really badly and I was seeing yellow dots everywhere, it reminded me of a scene from a sci-fi movie where they hook you up to a speed-learning machine and you see mathematical equations everywhere, and they were in really really vivid 3d, like I was wearing 3d glasses.  Feels like I was in REM, but also completely, 100% awake.

#15 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

God I love this site! I also hear faint music and walk around the room, just to find nothing. I also get very blurry vision, as if I put a gel in my eyes. Do you guys think this is a precursor? What I mean, is that there are days/week when I began to sleep 18-20 hours a day. If it is, I wonder what I/we could do stop it from intensifying EDS? 

Sleepy, if you have periods of sleeping 18-20 hours a day, you have really significant hypersomnia, more than most narcoleptics.  We might feel like we could do that, and we do sleep more than normal, but that's at the top of the scale.  There are a couple of things that can cause episodes of severe hypersomnia lasting for a few days or even a few weeks:  there's a menstruation-related periodic hypersomnia, and something called Kleine-Levin syndrome that also causes periodic hypersomnia.  You might want to read up a bit and see if either of those things sounds like they might describe what you have.

#16 Asksuzan

Asksuzan

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Never do where's Waldo when tired. That little dude with the red hat lunged at me and I screamed. Scared the hell out of my girlfriend at the time.

#17 NightinPhilly

NightinPhilly

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

Prior to my diagnosis, I started to think I was going nuts. I was genuinely concerned. I would see shadows out of the corner of my eye, most often shadows of what appeared to be an animal running away or a person. I learned after diagnosis that it is because of sleep deprivation. And thank you for posting, always good to know you're not alone.

Wow - this happens to me all the time but I have occasionally caught a real bug that way... I had always positioned that as 'hyper-vigilance' against bugs. :unsure:  I never considered that when there is no bug it could be a hallucination.

I wonder why so many of these result in 'scary' hallucinations - things that startle us or make us nervous. Why can't I have a happy / exciting one so I'm not waking up in a panic...?

#18 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Bald child with silver eyes standing in my bathroom doorway last month.  That was fun.

#19 CatLady

CatLady

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Golf, animals, roller coasters, stuff and things

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Bald child with silver eyes standing in my bathroom doorway last month.  That was fun.

I'm afraid I may have soiled the bed linens if that had happened to me.  :lol:   I'm so glad mine are, thus far, only auditory.

#20 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

thankfully, i didn't, but I do remember realizing it was a hallucination, and then went limp.  dunno if it was cataplexy, paralysis, or just part of the sleep/wake/dream experience