narcolepsy dosing treatment

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anonwasawoman

anonwasawoman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

I've had excessie daytime sleepiness for as long as I can remember (now 22), and a recent sleep study found me to have ideopathic hypersomnia (I forget what other term the doctor used). I've tried medications like Provigil and Strattera, but stimulants give me heart palpatations, heightened anxiety, and extreme jitteriness. I am also on medications for bipolar disorder, anxiety, and depression, none of which help my issues with sleepiness. I can no longer read or even sit down for long periods during the day as I will just fall asleep. I feel like I'm missing out on so much, like I could be accomplishing so many things if I could just fight this constant urge to sleep. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep yourself awake or fix sleep patterns so you aren't constantly dozing? I feel like I've tried everything. Thank you!

#2 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm sure people have plenty of suggestions you might want to look into, but first we'd need to know what stimulants you've tried in the past, at what dosage, and how they affected you. We'd also need to know what other medications you're on currently.

#3 anonwasawoman

anonwasawoman

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

Currently on 1200mg lithium, 1500mg depakote, and 60mg cymbalta. I can't remember the doses, but I know they were very low. Strattera gave me a cocaine-like high, Wellbutrin made me extremely angry and gave me tinnitus, Abilify gave me heart palpatations and shortness of breath, Provigil made me angry and gave me intense anxiety.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: narcolepsy, dosing, treatment