Anyone Try Daytrana?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smg08009

smg08009

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hi everyone! I am currently on adderall 10mg 1-2x/day. It works pretty well and lasts longer than any of the other meds I've tried (basically every type of oral methylphenidate available) without giving me too bad of a "crash." But I've noticed if I take it any later than 2PM it messes with my sleep later. I'm in my 20s, so most social events happen at night when I'm basically useless. It hasnt been a problem until recently when my boyfriend told me other people have told him I'm too quiet or look bored when we hang out. (He knows it's because I'm having microsleeps, but these other people don't really "get" narcolepsy.) I remembered hearing about daytrana patches on that Discovery health special last year and could've sworn I heard the doctor say the drug wears off within an hour of removing the patch. So I mentioned it to my doctor at my last sleep appointment and even though he hasn't prescribed it before and knew very little about it, he prescribed it for my to try if I have an event to attend after my adderall wears off. When I went to pick it up the pharmacist told me the med takes 4 hours to wear off after removal of the patch and I should try taking 5mg of adderall instead.

Has anyone else tried daytrana patches? I've read all the information I can find about the pharmacology and still can't really tell if I would be okay to take late in the day. Regular Ritalin IR wore off after 90 min-2hours, so I'm hoping maybe I metabolize it faster?

#2 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

I haven't heard of anyone using them, no. Would just taking a nap before a social event be enough? If these things are late at night it's going to be hard to find a medication that allows you to switch on for the party then switch right back off for bed. Adderall does have a long half life. If you're trying to take it too late in the day, even 5mg is going to interfere with your sleep. Ritalin is the shortest acting stimulant used for treating Narcolepsy/EDS.

So the Daytrana patch is, for all intents and purposes, simply a continuous low-dose infusion of Ritalin IR. If your physician has no problems prescribing you both Adderall and Ritalin, why don't you just take Adderall in the early morning and early afternoon, and then take Ritalin IR 1-2 hours before your night time social events? Then by the time you're crashing, you can just go to sleep.