Photo

Medicare Covers 'vigils W/dose Limit, But W/o Limit For Adderall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

when I was prescribed Provigil and nuvigil, about 2-3 years ending in '10, my dr. and I found the most that medicare would cover is 400 mg/d.

no limit-lucky for me- for  mixed amphetamine salts, or generic Adderall.   anybody know why? could it be there's truly knowledgeable people that have awareness of the fact (in my humble opinion, at least) some wakefulness promoting regimens are comparatively massive (in terms of mg/d amounts) of necessity?  and so they made sure people w/high dose needs have access to treatment?

this notion to me offers an explanation that seems somehow too much like right for the feds. maybe I see the world through s. colored glasses.  I dunno

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

It's because of the cost of Nuvigil/Provigil -- has nothing to do with how much a patient needs or can be prescribed of either.

#3 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

really?  vigils are costly but there's way more expensive meds out there..  do you suppose that decades from now, after patent rights run out and generics 'vigils are available, that if they then become cheap, would the feds/medicare cover any amt.?  does anybody know if amphetamines were also costly when they first became available, if so, was medicare coverage limited to specific max. amts. as well?