Photo

What If You Could Influence Your Sleep With A Machine?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hopefully I've put the links in a logical order...interesting? The first two, many of you will already be familiar with similar content.

http://www.naturalne...une_system.html

http://healyourselfa...s_of_sleep.aspx

http://healyourselfa...RAPIES/CES.aspx

http://www.healthlin...e-memory-041113

#2 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hmmm...no responses. Doesn't anyone want to discuss this?

Here's another link of interest on the subject...

http://synapticscoop.com/tag/sleep/

#3 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

I definitely think there could be, rather is, something to such.  That is proper, sorts of stimulation. 

I've tried certain iphone apps and/or binaural sorts of sounds, while sleeping; I would say some have, to a point, been soothing and/or calming but also after a point they can wake me up too.

It's hard to have a, or find the, consistency which has worked, or will work.

That's definitely not with an ideal circumstance though, in terms of both the actual app and/or binaural sound being ideal, as well as the manner (headphones or audio / headset /whatever, set up) of use.

Being a side sleeper, out of necessity due to sleeping on my back causing more apneas, headphones are very difficult to tolerate (my middle ear troubles also play into that difficulty).

I know that using surround sound speakers doesn't work, nor compare, to headphones when it comes to binaural effect/s.

I'd give the 'cranial electro stimulation' a go, for sure. 

However, I don't particularly like even sleeping with an iPhone, or similar device, within say 6' of me as there really are many waves coming and going at all times.

I'll add this, this summer when I spent near a month down in Nicaragua, where there is much much less of such (wireless/WiFi of all sorts) waves, continually and everywhere, my symptoms across the board seemed to be much lesser.

Now, I'm not gonna (nor do) wear a tinfoil hat or anything.

If the 'cranial electro, w/ headphones that I could sleep in, stimulator' device were beneficial over negative, available as well as affordable, I'd be definitely into it.!

#4 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I bid binaural beats for a while, Goa Trance works really really well too.

The CES devices do sound interesting, but might be troublesome to wear. 

Sk8aplexy - wonder if an RF signal cancellation device might help you.  They're generally illegal because they can interfere with emergency calls and such, but a very short range one you flipped on while asleep could be possible, if that's something you'd want to look into.  Also a lot out there for EMF shielding

#5 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'll add this, this summer when I spent near a month down in Nicaragua, where there is much much less of such (wireless/WiFi of all sorts) waves, continually and everywhere, my symptoms across the board seemed to be much lesser.

Now that's an interesting observation. Makes me think that instead of influencing our sleep waves perhaps we  should try blocking out other waves that may be interfering with them. If I papered the bedroom with tin foil  then I wouldn't have to wear my tin foil hat to bed. ;)

Seriously! I do know that there are studies of people living near high tension wires that have a much greater incidence of cancer. We are electrical fields ourselves and other electrical fields would interfere and disrupt ours.

I've also heard that the "whup/whup/whup of wind generators are also disorienting.

I wonder what the incidence of Narcolepsy is among city dwellers as opposed to country dwellers. Food for thought.

#6 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

I wonder what the incidence of Narcolepsy is among city dwellers as opposed to country dwellers. Food for thought.

Probably higher, but that's more than likely a result of the autoimmune factor being higher in city-folk, with all their fancy soaps and runnin' water and whatnot.

#7 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

Can't help but wonder about technologies impact on things, so many things and not specifically at all health related.

Seriously 100 years ago, even 25 years ago, there was hardly a fraction of what there is today out there; just speaking of waves...

[!]

#8 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

LOL! I watched that on youtube...the comments were interesting.

Back to Nicaragua. The construction of homes is very different. Tile...no carpet. No drywall. Brick and concrete...rarely wood. Those three things (carpet, drywall and wood) usually off gas formaldehyde or other V.O.C.'s for a very long time. There's probably no fluoride in the water and there may or may not be chlorine in the water. Were there cats in the house? I know you love your kitties but I've been thinking for a while that you may have an allergy to them.

Something else that DeathRabbit brought up a while ago about the correlation between "clean" and autoimmune diseases. I'm not sure it's the clean part so much as the chemicals in the products that we use in "first world countries" to achieve that clean. Different chemicals that becomes aerosols and we breathe in the mix all the time.

Just throwing out thoughts here.

#9 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

It's all good.  Had come across that video the other day on reddit, and it seemed very fitting for the discussion!

I do have a cat allergy, and you're right I ain't letting 'em go; no no, no no. 

Keeping them out of my room is the most that I can manage. 

Stinking ToxoPlasmosis, is I think something you may be speaking/thinking of...

I do use a berkey filter, with fluoride filter, for the water which I drink and cook with.

And you are correct that the houses down there tend to be mostly all concrete and brick, with a bit of wood as pillars and/or occasional wall / room seperators.

There are parasites and occasional cholera, so you got to be careful.  There is a ton of smoke from people burning their garbage and many people still cook using a wood fire stove; pretty stinking rough.

I've never seen carpet there, drywall possibly but I can't say for sure.

There are a few cats here and there, but where I tend to stay is so wide-open, there isn't hair anywhere, nor dust except in crevices.  However, there are like duck/chicken/rabbit/pig and other droppings or what not, around on the floors, from time to time.  The house I stay in is actually open entirely to the back patio/yard, which has a large brick wall, with broken glass stuck in the top mortar bed on the wall.  There of course are rooms divided within the house, but the kitchen, dining room and living room are all open to the patio entirely. 

#10 Chippervan

Chippervan

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

here's a patent for some device modify sleep brain activity.

http://www.google.co... sleep patterns

http://www.google.co...dify sleep wave

there are loads of other brain stimulation device patents out there too. just google scholar some terms like "sleep disoder device brain stimulation modulation non-invasive etc". just mix them up. you can see who filed the patent (company and person) and then you can research them.

#11 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

I personally don't believe wifi sensitivity is involved in N. Partially because I work for a company that tests such products and we have a billion of them active all over the place, and I've never noticed feeling better or worse upon leaving or entering the building. I do give more credence to people reporting problems when living/working near high tension wires or or radio/tv stations. Those are much larger sources of EMF radiation. Still, there's no real proof linking nonionizing radiation to health issues. So I wouldn't worry about it too much or you risk turning it into a nocebo situation. Sure, I suppose it is possible that cell phones and Wi-Fi could cause health issues in a way scientists just can't figure out yet. However, yhere are some poor individuals out there so convinced that WiFI/Cell networks are doing them damage that'll they'll start crying out in pain if someone tells them they've walked into a wifi area, even if there isn't any wifi. So try not to obsess over it :)