23Andme Or Other Genetic Tests

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

I have been very surprised by the number of people on this board who have trouble sleeping. I count my lucky stars that I'm not one of them. I sleep for seven hours at night and three hours in the afternoon...same time every day. I do not use an alarm nor do I need to.

That said, I am a very light sleeper and will awaken at the slightest noise. I once walked down from a third floor master bedroom to the basement laundry room...the tap was dripping and it was keeping me awake. I probably have supersensitive ears because my eyesight was damaged in a fall down a flight of outdoor wooden stairs when I was three.

Earplugs are my saviour. Stuff 'em in and the world turns off and so do I. I like the soft foam type. You kind of squish one end and, when it's in your ear, it expands and silence reigns. Being frugal by nature, I wear one pair a day (for both nap and sleep). Then they go into  a zippered mesh bag which gets washed once a  week with the sheets using laundry detergent and bleach...into the dryer and the batch for the next week is clean and disinfected.

#22 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

isn't it the disrupted sleep architecture that's responsible for most of our symptoms anyway?  For me, based on what I saw on my first PSG it's rapid REM onset, with a complete wake every 2 hours, with very little stage 3.  massive REM intrusions lasting a minute or so in stage 2 as well.  Hopefully if/when they make me do another I'll get some more clarity.  No experience with C, but my general theory is that the brain's triggering the same function that it uses during REM sleep to keep us from actually moving around as if we're awake, and the link to emotional states is because that's when we'd need it most while asleep.  Seems to me that many symptoms wouldn't be an issue if there was a solid med that'd keep all of us sleeping properly, with a regular architecture, to begin with...  Might not help with REM intrusion during the day though, would depend if that were caused by the sleep deprivation, or by a secondary function just firing off randomly because, hey, why not.  Though I don't have a clue what I'm talking about since 3 months ago I still thought N was randomly passing out in your soup.  Even so, there's still so much that nobody knows, or understands.  Really I stand behind N not being a diagnosis, but rather as a symptom, or a collection of symptoms for something else.

#23 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Of course. Don't mistake being asleep or sleeping for a total of 10 hours in a day means that it's normal or fully restorative sleep. I just do what I can the best way I know how.

The first week that my hubby was out of the hospital was hell on wheels for me. He needed my assistance every two hours to take care of personal matters...I did not do well being woken up every two hours. However, that's behind us and everything is fairly back to normal.

I'm starting a new thread with some info I just came across about increasing slow wave sleep by external means (i.e. not taking a med internally).