employment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 supertired

supertired

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Currently, I live in Dubai, UAE.  I was recently given a job offer to work at another company.  Surprisingly, the new company gave me a pre-employment medical questionnaire asking about previous conditions.  The last question asks if you have anything not listed.  Narcolepsy would fall into this category.

I am worried that if I tell them I have narcolepsy that the offer will be rescinded.  I will be working as an engineer in an office - no power tools or anything like that.

My primary symptom is EDS.  I don't have cataplexy, hallucinations or any other symptoms.  I am just tired all the time.

They don't have the ADA here.

I'm afraid of telling them and losing the offer and afraid of not telling them and getting medication later then being fired for lying about it on the pre-employment questionnaire.

It's not a good way to start anything by lying.

Any thoughts?

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

If you have an official Dx, then I think you have to disclose it.  If not, and you're not seeing a doctor, then you don't.

#3 louie

louie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Is there a law there that says you have to? In the US you don't have to tell. I wouldn't

#4 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

if it doesn't interfere with your work, there's no point.  I don't think there's any law anywhere that compels you to disclose, unless it is medically necessary, like being HIV+ in the health care field for example.  As rough as N can be, if you don't experience C or any other severe symptoms, it shouldn't matter to them, and it's none of their business.  In my experience, they only go after lying on an application if you're lying about qualifications, or, as a technicality because they don't like you and want an easy out.  

#5 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

May I make the suggestion that IF they accept your qualifications and you do go to work for them, that you make sure to get a letter of reference from your current employer. And I sure hope that your current employer or any co-workers don't know your medical situation.

Even if you weren't Narcoleptic, letters of reference are lovely to look back on when you're retired (like me)...a legacy.

#6 steaks

steaks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

May I make the suggestion that IF they accept your qualifications and you do go to work for them, that you make sure to get a letter of reference from your current employer. And I sure hope that your current employer or any co-workers don't know your medical situation.

Even if you weren't Narcoleptic, letters of reference are lovely to look back on when you're retired (like me)...a legacy.

From what I understand he was already given an offer.  If they are giving you a medical questionaire, it's smooth sailing, unless there is some major red flag.  I don't see how it could benefit you in any way by disclosing it, but it could very well make them rescind the job offer.

#7 browndog319

browndog319

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:stand up comedy, music, college basketball, football, baseball

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

I think it's a personal decision. I had an employer give me a physical and I disclosed it. There was NO issue. Granted this was in the US. They told me if I had any issues, let them know, they were there for me. They asked for my treatment plan. I told them my plan. They said, sounds good. Let us know if you need any special accommodations. I never had an issue.

#8 supertired

supertired

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

I told them and had no issue.  Now I feel relieved since I was honest.

#9 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Running, painting, reading, xbox, music, paintball...I want to dance.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

I told but they probably had no idea what I was saying. I feel like being honest is good but I don't know that this provides much protection.  

#10 supertired

supertired

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:06 AM

Well, telling them really didn;t matter.  No sleep disorders were covered by their insurance so I was left without treatment at first.  Luckily they were able to provide me with an exception.  I wish the HR people had read it and would have informed me prior to job acceptance that this condition would not have been treated.  Had I known I would have never accepted the job.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: employment