Adderall Xr Experiences

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jsg1206

jsg1206

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

New member here, quick detail of my background and battle with Narcolepsy / Idiopathic Hypersomnia.  44yrs old now, battled with EDS since high school, always felt something was wrong, battled through college, roommates always joked about my "sleeping sickness" because I would sleep for 10hrs and take 2hr long naps.  Finally in 2005, bad enough I went to sleep doctor and went through all the tests:  overnight PSG, bloodwork, MSLT, etc.  - no history of cataplexy:  results Fragmented REM sleep, little deep sleep, significant number of arousals, slept on all naps, 2/4 SOREM's on naps, mean MSLT "pathologically severe range" = 2.4minutes.... went through the Provigil, Xyrem (made me a depressed zombie), Nuvigil, Effexor, Concerta, SSRI, SNRI, etc. treatments, not much help....  did not want to believe my diagnosis, so had 2 other sleep studies done over the years - all pointed to the same thing.......   this year (2013), new doctor prescribed Adderall XR low dose of 15mg 1x per day, finally something seemed to work, did not give me a "high" but helped me stay awake, felt "normal" I thought, positive mood:  after several months, started to build up tolerance, blood pressure creeping higher, medication wore off quicker, and then noticed when I would take a "day off" the medication, I had horrible crash/depression, exhaustion like I have never felt in my life, and I have battled depression for most of my life.......  the more I started to research Adderrall, the more I decided that it is "poison" to the body, the thought of potentially becoming addicted to something like this is alarming:  needing higher doses, almost suicidal depression crash when I don't take it, hostile angry personality, long term effects on the brain, so I am now on my "second" attempt at quitting this medication for good:  flushed the remaining pills down the toilet, have not taken any for 6days now, battling the "withdrawal" exhaustion, depression, lethargy.......   now, back to re-evaluating Provigil / Nuvigil.   Has anyone had real success with any of the "stimulants" to help control EDS?   Any positive stories regarding Adderall?  Such hope when I felt good on this stuff, but the crash/depression side effects not worth the positives:  If anyone else is in the same boat regarding Adderall, I would direct to this website..... helping me get through the "quitting"       http://quittingadderall.com/    Has Exercise, vitamins, diet, natural treatments helped anyone out there?   Thanks. 

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

I am narcoleptic and have gone through all of them, with the exception of Xyrem.  One technique is to use Adderall for a few days, and then switch to Provigil for a few days, and then switch back.  You will have to stop both sometimes and lie in bed all day.  I don't think Provigil is any safer than Adderall, and if you use either of the two continuously, they'll slowly lose their effect.  Pick your poison.  I have wound up in EMERG with tachycardia from Provigil, so I don't buy the argument that it's safer than an amphetamine.

#3 squirrel!

squirrel!

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

Can you wean down the adderall? Take 10mg for a week, then 5, then every other day until you're done.

unfortunately none of the meds available to us are good for us or without side effects. to just the nature of the beast.

Good luck!

#4 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

I take Adderall and I also build up tolerance to it very quickly. But I always take weekends off to help combat tolerance and I never notice any severe crashses like you've described. Unfortunately for some people Provigil/Nuvigil or really any other drug to promote wakefulness just simply doesn't work. If Provigil was a no-go for you in the past it's unlikely that it would suddenly work for you now.

If Adderall worked for you intially, then it may be worthwhile to stick with it but try to moderate the tolerance. Let me preface what I'm about to say by explaining that I usually try to give advice that is backed up by scientific studies or at least is generally accepted within the scientific community. Unfortunately in the case of countering tolerance to stimulants there isn't much scientific research to go on and instead I'm relying on information that has been primarily sourced from probable drug abusers with access to the Internet. That being said, I've tried some of these methods and they do seem to work somewhat.

To combat tolerance to amphetamines you can try the following supplements at bedtime: Magnesium glycinate and/or dextromethorphan. The idea is that these are NMDA receptor antagonists and that they can "reset" your sensitivity to dopamine overnight. You might also try large amounts of inositol with every meal as well as at bedtime.

As far as drugs, you might try switching to Vyvanse instead of Adderall XR. Some people find Vyvanse to be better. I haven't tried it myself so I can't speak from experience.

Good luck.

#5 jsg1206

jsg1206

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

thanks for the input, just no easy answers......  

#6 kevers

kevers

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

I am narcoleptic and have gone through all of them, with the exception of Xyrem.  One technique is to use Adderall for a few days, and then switch to Provigil for a few days, and then switch back.  You will have to stop both sometimes and lie in bed all day.  I don't think Provigil is any safer than Adderall, and if you use either of the two continuously, they'll slowly lose their effect.  Pick your poison.  I have wound up in EMERG with tachycardia from Provigil, so I don't buy the argument that it's safer than an amphetamine.

Interesting theory i might try that method.

#7 BackwardPawn

BackwardPawn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

I used Adderall in college to battle fatigue (EDS) and help with concentration.  I found the drug too edgy.  My current doc tried the ER version of Adderall when I originally asked for Dexedrine.  Again, I can't get to a theraputic level without edginess.

Back then I used two versions of Dexedrine--Dextrostat and Barr.  Dextrostat worked well while they made it; after a few months of Barr I discontinued treatment.  From what I've read, you can only get Barr now, which is really unfortunate.  I'm not sure if there's no profit in keeping people awake or they're trying to force you to brand name products like Vyvance.

If Desoxyn doesn't work, Vyvance will be my next drug to try (and will cost me quite a bit more per month), so I'm hoping the Desoxyn works.  I think the doctor prescribed too low a dose as I've found two studies that say Desoxyn works best in the 40mg range and he's starting me out at 15mg, but I figure I have to try it first and then I can take the studies to my next visit if it doesn't work well enough.

Good luck finding something.  I constantly feel like we're an overlooked segment of the patient population (and then when you do find something that helps it gets taken off the market).