Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Taking an easy math class because I didn't have time to clep out of it. Now I hava failed two quizzes In the class becauseI am so tired my recall is next to nothing.
I know the information. But math Is like a foreign language. Taking quizzes with Narcolepsy is like sleep talking in Latin.
I do not have an official diagnosis though I am being treated for it so I cannot get help in class.

I need ideas. What can I do? I can't ask the teacher for accomadations.
And I dont have time for extra drilling of information and i don't think It would help much anyway....

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well this may not be what you want to hear, but you could always drop the class and take it again later. That way your GPA doesn't take a hit. Is it maybe just a bad teacher? In other words are you sure that your condition is the only reason your struggling? Maybe ask around and see what others think and how they are doing in the class.

#3 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

If you have an official diagnosis, would your class be handled differently?  If so, Dr. Mignot's got something being published any day that says a SOREM on a PSG is sufficient, so you wouldn't need to "pass" the MSLT.  Doubt it'd get you a diagnosis in time.  I'd say drop it and try again later.

#4 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ecology
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Too late to drop it and I need the credit as a prereq for Calc and CompSci next semester. The teacher is great. The stuff makes sense. I'm just so darn cloudy and forgetful and tired in class that the 2 times he's handed out a quiz, I flopped it. Everyone else is doing alright. I've already had the information before, in high school. I'm just having trouble recalling it and putting it down on paper when in class and I don't know it's coming. No time to prepare or look up little reminders that would help. It feels like someone waking me up in the middle of the night and asking me to do the same quiz. :/ 

Yeah, if I had a diagnosis the Student Services Center would offer tutoring services, assignment due date leniency, and provide a mediator between teacher and student to ask for help. I will check out that Dr. Mignot research. What link do you use to find his publications? I find them on the Stanford sleep research site, but they don't seem very updated. 

#5 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

latest news

http://med.stanford....latestnews.html

specific link:

http://archneur.jama...ticleid=1684863

#6 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Honestly, I never passed college Algebra. I took it twice, and got a D the second time around.

It is a foreign language to me! I just can never wrap my brain around it. I spend hours in the the tutoring center (which is open to anyone) everyday doing the homework and I wrote notes for all of my tests. I ended up not passing simply because I had assignments that I had not turned in. :(

You may not be able to ask for accommodations, but you can talk to your professor and explain the situation. Ask if there is anything you can do to make up those quizzes or to bump your grade up. Explain that you have a really hard time, that you are putting in the effort, and that you are really trying but still struggling.

I have found many professors (I go to a community college though) to be quite lenient and are usually willing to work with students, especially if they are working and putting in the effort. Everyone has a class that they just find to be more difficult, and professors are aware of this. Math is a common subject that many students struggle with, and I'm sure you will not be the first to ask for help.

You can go in to as little or as much detail as possible, but this is probably your best shot at passing the course.

Good luck!

#7 jpsmith8488

jpsmith8488

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Without a diagnosis, it is hard to move forward. Once you have a diagnosis made by a sleep physician, then you have many avenues of help open to you. You gain access to Xyrem and a stimulant for excessive daytime sleepiness, protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act and health insurance coverage for narcolepsy without regard for a pre-existing condition under the Affordable Care Act. Regarding the ADA, your teacher and school must make reasonable accommodations for your disability - in your case it might mean allowing you to take a nap before each math class so you would have perhaps 60 minutes of alertness and would be able to do better in that class. 

Depending on your age and your relationship with your parents, you might even be eligible for coverage under their policy now. Beginning October 1st you will be able to go to your state's exchange or if you live in a state that does not offer a state exchange, you will be able to go to the federal exchange, and determine what the cost for insurance will be.

Please keep in mind that if you are in a low income bracket, you will likely qualify for tax credits such that you could end up paying next to nothing for your policy. I would strongly advise you to get insurance even if you are young and otherwise in great health. The policy coverage for insurance obtained though the exchanges will begin January 1, 2014.