Photo

Let's All Avoid That Evil Drug. Having Eds Beats Turning Into..you Knw,..omg,etc.

green eggs ham tasty after al

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Mandatory Survival

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

I read postings in n forums, ones that have people like me telling their story. I get to things like others thinking n. is an excuse for laziness. and how cruel people we encounter on the job can be. especially sad it is, like it was my own story retold wnen somebody's story speaks of always having been too tired to be like others, do outstanding homework, be an 'MVP' at their firm because they bust a. like nobody else, etc.

and as I feel that sadness, I know I am your brother, fellow ever-to-be nameless/faceless in this anonymized social cyber-lounge pwn. I don't suspect it. don't have brilliant analogy explaining my deducing this fact.

only my brother or my sister knows my pain, what it has meant to have eds, especially before my diagnosis.

I reflect upon the life journeys of my brothers and sisters and wish I could just draw a treasure map, put it in a bottle for maybe just one to find.

then maybe they, too, could escape that which I once was. humble is the work I do.

a funny story: a road crew, faces full of grueling efforts as the men fixed the street was seen through the chain link fence as my biological brother and I played in our back yard. it was a beautiful spring day for little toddlers.

my mother, kneeling close and pointing to the men, said "doug, always remember you have to go to school. if you do not get a good education someday you will be a ditch digger."

well, guess what? SHE WAS RIGHT! spot-on right i'd hafta say.

but I am the best ditch digger on god's green earth. OK, alright, that's a stupidly proud claim. but in all honesty, dear reader, you might know 2 or 3 men who have hacked 'git 'r done' tasks on par w/mine on site, over the years.

but you don't know ten. guaranteed.

but, wait a second, what's wrong w/pic? how did one of us get HERE?

with old-school (like from dr. yoss of the mayo clinic, man's work is forgotten today) treatment of eds w/amphetamine isomers, in whatever dose it takes. that's how. that simple. and every time-once in a blue moon, heartfelt, sincere remark is told me...."you are the hardest working man I ever saw" or, " I didn't think it could be done by one man in one day". can't help but feel a bit good the 5-6 times this has happened.

I think about my bothers and sisters right away every time this plays itself out, it's very poignant. don't say s. about it though, just accept the compliment. 'reckon I do my bit.'

and I remember the man I was before. the one they joke about;gets cut loose soon as the time comes to lay off laborers. my brothers and sisters are still there.

nothing I can do shall allow even one to know how good it feels to be an 'ace hand', one the bosses treat like gold. not one. all for fear of becoming like a 'tweeker'; all for fear of high dose eds treatment with an amphetamine isomer. certainly not all my brothers and sisters, but surely just one can make the great escape to a different, productive way of life. it won't be because of any useful info. from me.

I tried, though. I really, really tried.

can't say i'm done 'cause I said it before, sam. would you could you, in a box....would you, could you with a fox?

#2 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

my mother, kneeling close and pointing to the men, said "doug, always remember you have to go to school. if you do not get a good education someday you will be a ditch digger."

Have to disagree with that statement.  Most parents at that time said the same thing - because everyone they knew who went to college and got an education became successful with a good job, but, that's because not everyone went to college, or saw it an as extension of high school.  Completion of college no longer guarantees a successful career as it did in the past.  Many are left with a massive debt, and end up working in the same position they would have received without completing schooling.  What's the official stats on people ending up in the same field they were educated in now?  I've worked with dozens of people with college degrees in computer science who either a) have no idea what they're doing, or B) couldn't get a job because they're too introverted and don't interview well.

Also factor in that many of those people who are successful, aren't there because they deserve to be, but have manipulated their way to the top, or know the right people.

School's not for everyone, N or not, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a ditch digger, a tradesperson, or a cashier.  We can't all expect to get the best jobs, someone has to pour the coffee, and they deserve the same respect as those who designed the machines to grind the beans.  Personal worth is not measured by your success in the job market, material possessions, or scholastic achievement, it's how we feel about ourselves, and how we treat those around us that matters.  

#3 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well said ironhands!

Personal worth is not measured by your success in the job market, material possessions, or scholastic achievement, it's how we feel about ourselves, and how we treat those around us that matters.

It doesn't matter if I'm scrubbing a toilet or peering down a microscope, I always give a 110%. It's a matter of personal pride to always give my very best.

I will leave you with Desiderata...

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others…even the dull and the ignorant for they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons for they are vexations unto the spirit. If you compare yourself with others you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested  in your own career, however humble…it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs for the world is full of trickery. But, let this not blind you to what virtue there is…many persons strive for high ideals and everywhere, life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love for, in the face of all aridity, it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the council of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings for many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here and, whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be…and, whatever your aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Strive to be happy.

#4 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Mandatory Survival

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

good points, I h , very good..beautiful, 'good attitude' philosophy/poetry from ferret..  thing about school for me as as n developed around 7 th grade school became way too hard.  had I then a diagnosis and treatment begun I probably wouldn't have dropped out.

no worries.  any day on this side of the grass is a good one!

#5 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

Having worked in the service industry for a while and havign a GF who currently does, I can definitely tell you the one pouring the coffee, on average, gets less respect than the bug you just scraped off your shoe. It's pretty stupid that customers treat service industry employees like that because considering that over half of Americans have had to hold down that kind of job at some point in time. But customers insist on treating their waiters, cashiers, etc, like their own personal *BEEP* and woe betide you if you stand up for yourself, because almost every company has that stupid "The customer is always right" party line that will get you fired if you complain. My GF can't even make sexual harassment complaints for fear of retribution from the company. Just the other day, she had a customer telling her that "With that kind of body, you need to be dancing on a table with no clothes on" But the few times she's tried to report it, her manager has told her that she was overreactign and should drop the subject. She now wears clothes about 3 sizes too big to work, just to minimize the harassment from dudebros and perverts.

#6 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

If I, as a customer, heard another customer say that to an employee, said customer would be wearing my coffee, my lunch, the contents of the sugar container and get his ears ripped off with blistering tirade. A$$hole....so's her manager. 

Service employees are there to serve...not to be abused.

Try carrying a recording device in a pocket...it's called evidence.

#7 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

She did record a sitdown where HR called he stupid and said a monkey could do her job. She was too afraid to use it for anything. Her family depends a great deal on her income.

#8 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

She did record a sitdown where HR called he stupid and said a monkey could do her job. She was too afraid to use it for anything. Her family depends a great deal on her income.

that's the heart of the issue.  Sure, you can take it to HR, but they'll often label you a troublemaker and toss you at the first opportunity for some other reason.  When you're "low" in the job market, sometimes you have to put up with crap.  It's not right, but it's the way things are sometimes.

#9 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

that's the heart of the issue.  Sure, you can take it to HR, but they'll often label you a troublemaker and toss you at the first opportunity for some other reason.  When you're "low" in the job market, sometimes you have to put up with crap.  It's not right, but it's the way things are sometimes.

Exactly. One employee there actually reported to corporate some fraudulent accounting the managers at the store were doing. A few months later, he was fired because of some bs reason.

#10 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

That is so very sad and the actions of both management and customer are despicable.

I sincerely hope that she can find another job...and then tell her current employer to stick theirs where the sun don't shine.

#11 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

I blame the customers more than the managers; there's an endless supply of workers, it's the customers they need.  The customers know this and feel they can do anything they want.  I work in customer service, you wouldn't believe some of the crap I've seen over the years, and complete fabrications to try and save 20 cents off of shake'n'bake.  It's businesses like Wal-Mart and McDonalds that've allowed customers to walk all over them, and accept the loss whatever they want, that've allowed them to believe they can do the same thing everywhere.  They should force kids to work a few weeks in retail during highschool to learn some empathy, or mutual respect for others... But from what I'm seeing lately, they can't (or won't) teach kids much in schools these days.  What's this crap about never failing a kid?  I remember our parents talking about "the strap"...  Are we going to tell our kids "I remember back in the day when if you didn't pass your tests, they'd make you re-do an entire year!"

#12 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Part of it I think is the economy too. Management in these places know they cna treat you like crap because it's still better than being unemployed and finding another job could be pretty difficult.