Photo

Increased Sex Drive With Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

Adderall XR alone did this? I associate loss of libido with antidepressants, so that's really interesting (but also really sucks, of course) if it's happening with Adderall XR alone. It this while it's in effect, or when it wears off at night...?

#22 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

If you are not on an antidepressant and you are experiencing low sex drive, I would consider depression.

All people living with chronic illnesses are at a high risk of depression. I experienced this and it cought me off guard. Depression is not just sadness or negative thinking that can be cured by a good pep talk and some ice cream. It really is a very physical experience.

It is worth considering. Is there anything else you dont enjoy as much lately. Are there things you enjoy that you just dont do anymore?

#23 rayraybaybay

rayraybaybay

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Rock and Roll, Vintage Jewelry, Decoupaging, Star Trek, Hiking, History, High Fantasy Books, Makeup Artistry, Tattoos, and Candy

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

I have the complete opposite problem, I'm a 22 year old female I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago, take adderall xr, and have zero sex drive. I have a boyfriend of four years and while he is very supportive I find myself feeling bad in the back of my mind because I know I used to enjoy sex and at 22 should have a sex drive. I have tried several medications and adderall is the only one that has worked positively for me minus this one issue. My question is if anyone has experienced this and found a way to turn it around?

I found this in the Adderall XR drug facts sheet :

Adverse Reactions Reported by 5% or More of Adults Receiving ADDERALL XR with Higher Incidence Than on Placebo in a 255 Patient Clinical Forced Weekly-Dose Titration Study:

Note: The following reactions did not meet the criterion for inclusion in Table 3 but were reported by 2% to 4% of adult patients receiving ADDERALL XR with a higher incidence than patients receiving placebo in this study: infection, photosensitivity reaction, constipation, tooth disorder (e.g., teeth clenching, tooth infection), emotional lability, libido decreased, somnolence, speech disorder (e.g., stuttering, excessive speech), palpitation, twitching, dyspnea, sweating, dysmenorrhea, and impotence.

Also:

6.2 Adverse Reactions Associated with the Use of Amphetamine, ADDERALL XR, or ADDERALL:

Endocrine: Impotence, changes in libido, frequent or prolonged erections.

So, it does appear to be a side effect. Just not a particularly common one.

#24 purpley

purpley

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Science and medicine. And staying awake, of course.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Oh yeah, anything's possible with meds. Just curious.