Photo

Did The Mslt Totally Wipe You Out?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hbananas

hbananas

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Reading, singing, movies, The Grandkid.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've had several overnight PSGs to be diagnosed with my OSA and to titrate my CPAP.  Afterwards, I'd get up, go home, and have an OK day.

After the MSLT, I was in terrible shape for the rest of the evening, needing to hit a Starbuck's just to make it home.  That was Thursday, and I am still paying for it.  I had the best intention of practicing good sleep hygiene, going to bed on time and getting up on time, even though it is a weekend, but I had to get up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours because I couldn't sleep, and then I got up really late today, still not feeling rested.

Has anyone else had this problem, or am I just having a bad few days for other reasons?

#2 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

I believe that an MSLT can screw up your "normal" sleep schedule especially if you don't usually give in to taking naps during the day.

You were also woken up after the twenty minutes were up...I hate being woken up...makes me cranky.

So go back to what's normal for you and, hopefully, in a couple of days you'll be back to what is normal for you.

Best of luck...let us know how you make out and how long it took.

#3 dormir 2

dormir 2

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

I was totally exhausted after the MSLT.  My PSG TST was less than 300 minutes (if I'm remembering correctly), but my anxiety level was so high, I fell asleep during three of the naps and would wake suddenly in a panic.  It was not like normal sleep or normal naps.  I went to sleep very early the night following the sleep study.  My sleep returned to its normal badness pretty quickly, but I was definitely more tired than usual.

That may have been because it was finals week and I had MS (though didn't know it yet), but there are a lot of factors that can effect energy levels.  Your's could be a combination of MSLT and other things.

#4 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ecology
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

The MSLT was torture for me. I was trapped in a small room with only a laptop, an uncomfterable bed (I couldn't sit on 'cept for naps), a lounge chair (that made me want to sleep) and a big screen tv. Two things about me: I neither own nor watch a television... and I am not indoors for more than 2-3 hours at a time except for at night. It makes me want to kill people. I just can't do the indoors. So these people put my Narcoleptic self in the most unusual and unfamiliar place imaginable and told me I could not sleep when I needed to, could not eat normal food (they brought me a random whole cheese pizza, which, while it was a kind gesture, was not something my nonprocessed food eating self would have eaten had I chosen my diet for the whole day), and could not move around. AND THEY EXPECTED IT TO SHOW RESULTS OF A NORMAL DAY. I tossed and turned in all the naps, anxious thoughts keeping me up, the wires scratching my skull. I had been fighting sleep between every nap, so that when I was finally allowed to sleep, my body fought that too. It was awful. 
I knew it would not show results of Narcolepsy. 
And I was right. 
Though I did fall asleep in all the naps, I did not go into REM (even though I distinctly remember a dream...), and it took me more than 6 minutes to fall asleep on 4/5 of the naps. 

It was horrid. 

And I never want to partake in it again. 
I, like you, was thrown off for days afterwards. My body considered sleep a disease and I had headaches from fighting it off. 

I hope they stop considering the MSLT the RULING diagnosis for Narcolepsy. Because it needs work. Major. 
Maybe one day they will take results from an at home DIY test. Maybe then more people will get the help they need.

#5 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Does anyone have more information on a home/DIY test?  I'm considering building up my own from a hobbyist EEG kit and coding up a bit of software to track it, wouldn't cost more than ~200$

#6 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ironhands, I haven't heard of being able to use DIY results for diagnosis. Did you find a place or a study that did? 

#7 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

someone said they had, iive never seen one though

#8 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Ironhands, I haven't heard of being able to use DIY results for diagnosis. Did you find a place or a study that did? 

#9 ProfessionalSleeper

ProfessionalSleeper

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

When I had my MSLT done I was pretty miserable. When my sleep is messed with I tend to get physically sick. At lunch time I was brought a p'zone from Pizza Hut. I ate about half of it before I had to stop eating. Shortly before my next nap I lost the remainder of my lunch. On top of that, I developed a horrid headache that lasted for days.

#10 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

I was just worn out afterwards and really really REALLY wanted a hot shower. I didn't have any more problems than usual after getting some sleep at home though.