• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 squirrel!

squirrel!

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Can someone explain this to me.

How long does it last? How long do you have to be off antidepressants to see it? Even low doses (of meds)? Does the cataplexy seem worse? more frequent?

Thanks for any insight!

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Depends on how long you were on a REM suppressant.  Usually you'll see the rebound almost immediately.  The cataplexy becomes stronger and more frequent.  Then it settles down.

#3 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

I agree with IdiopathicHypersomniac. I also think it may depend on whether you weaned off it properly or did it cold turkey...also possibly may depend on the dosage you were taking. I believe those are both variables that should be taken into consideration.

I cannot remember the actual dosage of Tofranil (imipramine) that I was given for the cataplexy because it was 27 years ago. I imagine it was fairly high because I have been told (recently) that the Ritalin that I was given at the same time was a standard four times the strength of the maximum dose allowed now.

I was on both for six months and quit cold turkey. I don't even think they knew back then that you had to be weaned off it. 

Anyhooo...BAM! within two days the cataplexy was back and way worse and more frequent than upon diagnosis. It took me nearly 18 months to start feeling reasonably functional again.

Everybody's different and meds are not for everyone.