Photo

Guys: Please Explain 'dopamine', Etc., To This Redneck.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

dear friends-

my understandings refect those of rednecks, jeff Foxworthy's rednecks. so when i'm told high dose amphetamines f. up my brain, all I know is I still hold my job and other men on site might even laough at you if you told them "doug is a f.-ed up s. o. b.", and meant it serious.

please tell me the thing I don't have a clue about. what is dopamine reuptake? what does it do? why am I able to do things like throwing/catching a framing hammer (can be done and is, but rarely)on site despite my regimen?

why is a d. r. 'agonist' so bad? why is the 'inhhibitor' not as bad?

don't forget it's a man whose* 'home is mobile but the 9 vehicles parked on the lawn are NOT' listening, make sure it's not over my head.

please explain this s., I tried reading but can't understand this important thing I should know.

thanks.

* or would had I never met my Susie, her career has us in a different kind of home.

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Dopamine and norepinephrine are "chemicals" that are released by some cells in the brain and sucked up by other cells.  They give you energy.  An agonist like an amphetamine makes the cells that release them release even more.  A reuptake inhibitor blocks the other cells from sucking those two "chemicals" up.  It's just a way to get more of these chemicals "floating around" in your brain so that you have energy.  The agonist is supposed to be worse because it wears those cells out.  If that happens, you are at higher risk of developing diseases like Parkinsons.

#3 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

do you know how good your hand/eye skills are throwing/catching framing hammer? think maybe doing stuff like that regularly 'reroutes' my brain, so bad s. can't develop until I reire?

#4 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

the brain's a complicated organ, things can get rerouted.  When some areas are damaged, other areas take over - this is similar to blind people having heightened hearing/smell.  Drugs can often do it as well, most notably LSD mixing up visual and auditory stimuli.

Any "reuptake inhibitor" whether norepinephrine, serotonin, or dopamine, just tells the brain not to absorb the chemicals as much.  The more of those chemicals in the brain, the "better" we feel to a point.  In some ways, it's like overclocking a computer, or overcharging a car engine.  It will give results, but will cause wear and tear over time - a candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

With amphetamines, from what I understand, they're more likely to hurt your cardiac and renal function before your brain.  The effect on the brain is usually limited to delusions, paranoia and hallucinations, isn't it? 

#5 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

true. my heart/kidneys are likely = best on earth. (knock on wood!) my many, many tums daily has not caused kidney stones. rested heart rate = 60/70, had unmedicated reading @ 50 bpm once.

water intake working extr. high, heart gets ideal workout, too. this likely tells us why I have escaped the consequences w/heart kidneys.

read somewhere less than 5% of brain cells ever go into service. not so w/computers and their silicon chips, right?

maybe next week i'm a basket case admitted to the asylum from my amphetamines finally 'blowing a fuse' in my brain.

and maybe I see age 100 yet responding-of course, this will mean upwards titrations to then about 4-600mg/d, if past pattern holds- to my yet well tolerated Adderall regimen.

maybe i'm a genuine, actual mutant, like from Darwin.

I think it's a lot more likely a lot of pwn could enjoy robust response to amphetamines, same as me. all they need is similar physical excersize.

just hit reps at the gym for several hours five days/week. boom. done. no need to think about filing disability claim because of eds, too.

how good does that sound?

#6 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

with computers it's usually degration due to the excess heat

We're all mutants; aren't all organisms in a state of genetic change? 

Excersize is just good in general.  It releases endorphines, which make us feel better as well.  Many don't have the energy to excesize though, too tired.  I bike an hour a day, and I'm still tired at work.  If I didn't walk/bike, I'm sure it'd be worse.

#7 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

man, if I were an Adderall salesman I could have a 'field day' w/that.  high dose Adderall fixes things right up in each department.

I've always assumed that if compliance was possible to verify, mandating a rigorous exesize regimen as a condition for high dose amphetamine rx'ing might make it good for a lot more of us.

can't say how feasible a suggestion this = , though.  might not be possible to implement verification of patient exercising.

#8 steaks

steaks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

Big thing people need to do is to watch their blood pressure when on stimulants.  The problem though is that it is hard to measure the spikes.

Amphetamines cause a lot of vasoconstriction, meaning they cause blood vessels to constrict, or get more narrow.  This along with greater cardiac output can cause very high spikes in blood pressure while doing heavy exercises.  Those little vessels in your brain can get REALLY narrow while doing a heavy set of squats and taking a big dose of amphetamines.  When blood clogs those narrow blood vessels...well....not good.  This is especially bad for someone with thick blood.

Chronic high blood pressure can cause your left ventrical to ENLARGE.  Your heart is like any muscle, and can grow when worked hard consistently.  Growing big biceps=good, growing big heart=BAD.  Big heart=a weak heart.  I have heard this is why people use certain beta blockers while on stimulants as to keep their blood pressure LOW to prevent this. Amphetamines, while work fine for some purposes like those which your doc prescribed them, are definitely not the best choice IMO as preworkout stimulants, simply because of that vasoconstriction.

If you heart grows big, it grows weak, and you can get heart failure.  Many hardcore weight lifters have enlarged left ventricals without even touching any stimulants, so anyone who consistently takes high doses of amphetamines when training hard is a potential candidate for heart failure. 

I'm not saying that someone can't take their meds while working out.  They just need to look into this with your doc regarding this and get his ok.  He will probably check your blood pressure amongst other things.

You mentioned something regarding "Rerouting" of your brain, catching a framing hammer which was very insightful.  It is true amphetamines increase neuroprasticity, so yes, it may be very possible to sort of "re-rout" parts of your brain through certain habits or repetitive actions.