Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

It happens a lot to me. More so since I got sick. It's like you feel just, less PRESENT. I thought it had something to do with the tiredness, just overall moving/feeling slower, but maybe it's a kind of cataplexy. I know that is how I feel when I'm slurring. Blank. Sometimes I have the words in my mouth and I'm trying to get them out, but I can't speak--and sometimes my thoughts are just frozen, like there is nothing there. 
This is frustrating to me. I'm a thinker, I love to think, and lately... well I don't feel as smart as I was. Like I have lost IQ points. 
I was told I had to take the ACT again soon... I am afraid my score will actually have gotten lower with time. Since my brain's just been out of the game. 
I'm glad you mentioned that, Death Rabbit. I think that's one of the reasons relationships are hard for me. Everyone else's brain keeps working... and mine quits. 

#23 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

IQ drops as you get older by definition, but I can totally relate.  I still do a lot of programming, but I often find myself having to work to come up with a solution, and double check my math, when before it just came to me.

I don't think it's so much an issue with IQ that would make relationships more difficult - ignorance is bliss, not constantly second guessing things, and overthinking things in a relationship is great.

However, not being able to get your point across, and stalling mid conversation while speaking, or being spoken to, is never fun.

Sounds like you're describing dysphoria, head in the clouds, ethereal...  That was most of my day today.  Everything was, and still is, pretty dream-like.  I would expect most PWN would have this feeling at times, as what we feel in dreams and reality do kind of blur.  Wonder if there's some sort of cognitive behavior that could resolve that, like a "pinch me so I'm not dreaming" response.

#24 AnnieJoy

AnnieJoy

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Ecology
    Environmental Toxicology
    Epistemology
    Philosophy
    Bioethics
    Equine care
    Naturopathic Medicine
    Holistic health
    Theology
    Doctor Who

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Ha, yeah Ironhands, no I do not think IQ has much to do with relationships, though the constant brain fog? Yes. Yes it does. 

Although in my circles, the fact that being the president of the national science honor society one day on top of your game, and then the next struggling to pass AP Chemistry.... the brain fog sometimes FEELS like misplaced intelligence, unfortunately. Part of me misses the way I was, at least in that regard. 

#25 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I had that issue with a few ignorant teachers when my symptoms first started.  "He can't be smart, he's not getting straight A's".  

Partly because I'm falling asleep, and partly because I don't care to keep doing the same bloody math problem 100 different ways.  Give me a practical application, You'll get perfection, but force me to drill it into my head when I've already proven I know how to do it?  Nope.  Homework?  Yeah right.

#26 steaks

steaks

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I had that issue with a few ignorant teachers when my symptoms first started.  "He can't be smart, he's not getting straight A's".  

Partly because I'm falling asleep, and partly because I don't care to keep doing the same bloody math problem 100 different ways.  Give me a practical application, You'll get perfection, but force me to drill it into my head when I've already proven I know how to do it?  Nope.  Homework?  Yeah right.

That is because school isn't about learning, it is about conditioning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cataplexy, slurring, xyrem, nuvigil, boyfriend, relationship, communicating, help