Photo

Anybody Else Shun Sedatives/alcohol To Maintain Stimulants' Benefits?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

for years now I tend to avoid sedatives in order to avoid the loss of stimulant induced wakefulness they may bring. even pain pills such as vicodin. . and I used to drink socially, but this is also a sedative and will negate stimulants keeping me normal. so I no longer visit the bar, or drink beer with others, which used to be a big part of my social interactions. social drinking's been gone for years, too. only to stay wakeful. anybody else?

#2 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Having an alcoholic drink puts me to sleep so quickly that my hubby calls me a cheap date. Consumption of alcohol (for me) also makes for a crappy sleep and I wake up and feel worse than when I went to bed. I'm talking about ONE drink.

So, I don't drink 'cuz quality sleep is my most precious commodity. 

Sedatives, you'd have to be more specific about. I take one Robax Gold every night to help prevent muscle spasm from a chronic lower back problem. Been doing that for about five years and I swear I get a better sleep taking it but I don't know why. Sure don't miss the back spasms either.

YMMV.

#3 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Have you noticed different effects from different alcohols?  I've always had alcohol cravings when I've been tired, I was generally drinking on friday/sat/sun throughout the day to keep me going, with a nap in the middle.  Gave me a great little burst of energy, made me happier, and generally reduced the severity of my depression.  My depression is a lot more manageable with a drink or two - not staggeringly drunk as an escape, just one or two to loosen me up.  Lately though, It's been putting me right out, and the last 3-4 times I've drank, it's made me really sick.  Especially beer, but beer gives me insane gas and diarrhea.

Alc's always hit me very very fast, it seems like my tolerance is dropping more and more each month. I might be having a few drinks tonite with some friends.  Hopefully I can make it home before I crash.

I wonder though, what about mixing a stim and a drink, like, red bull+vodka?  Rum and jolt cola?  Disgusting, but may be effective.  Or maybe smoke a cig while drinking to have the nicotine counteract the sedation effect?

#4 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

I smoke. Therefore (for me), I can honestly say that it does boodiddleysquat to counter the effects of alcohol. IMHO, mixing chemical stimulants and alcohol is a recipe for disaster.

#5 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

Oh it's definitely a bad idea, red bull and booze can really kill the liver and kidneys, but I don't know how much compared to the other stimulants we're prescribed.

#6 Livi

Livi

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

I definitely don't take Xanax anymore for occasional anxiety. Knocks me right out. Not currently on stimulants but my appointment is the 9th and i think i will try adderall or provigil. I have no plans to give up my wine habit! I do have to leave social gatherings early though when I drink alcohol. :( 11 pm latest, when everybody else s just starting their night. But I'd probably have to leave then anyway to keep my sleep schedule.... Like an old fogey.

Ferret, why do you say stimulants and alcohol is a disaster? Don't they just cancel the other out? Or you mean hard on the liver?

#7 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

cocaine and alcohol leave a chemical in the liver that can kill you, but any stim + alcohol can cause serious damage to the liver and kidneys

#8 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

http://www.bhpalmbea...nd-amphetamines

http://www.oregoncou...s/ETOHBIOFx.htm

#9 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

Most people drink alcoholic beverages in the evenings, and I think most people probably time their medicines so that the stimulants are winding down by the evening hours. But maybe this thread is talking specifically about drinking in the afternoon hours since you mention negating the effects of stimulants. Personally, I have a few drinks or several beers on weekend nights. Honestly, I sleep much better if I go to bed in a moderately tipsy / slightly drunk state and wake up much more refreshed, but everyone's different.

On a few occassions I have drank a few beers while still having a decent amount of adderall in my system. At least for me, it made the effects of alcohol even stronger rather than suppressing them. Regardless, as long as you know how much you drink while not on stimulants and don't exceed that amount while on stimulants, I wouldn't anticipate there being any severe health consequences. It's true that co-ingestion of cocaine and ethanol, or methylphenidate (ritalin) and ethanol, causes a potentially harmful metabolite to form, but the same is not true for amphetamine (adderall). Recently I've also drank some beer while still having methylphenidate (ritalin) in my system and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary to be honest. I didn't take them at the same time, the beer came a couple hours later, and I think it's popping the pills and immediately washing them down with alcohol that would cause the biggest issue.

#10 3.8jake

3.8jake

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Consumption of alcohol (for me) also makes for a crappy sleep and I wake up and feel worse than when I went to bed. I'm talking about ONE drink.

I'm the exact same way and that was before I started on the not-so-merry-go-round of prescriptions. Now I'm terrified to drink any alcohol.