Photo

Anyone Mixed Adderall And Ritalin?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole narcolepsy thing and I'm still trying to find what works best for me. I've read through many posts on here in regards to people's experiences with adderall and ritalin and I'm really amazed that people have such widely varying reactions to it. I study pharmacy and medicinal chemistry so I'm very familiar with what these drugs do in the body. Unfortunately, especially with psychotropic drugs, that information doesn't really tell you how any given individual will respond to treatment. I'm no exception to this, and I haven't responded to stimulants the way I thought I would.

Essentially, I respond very weakly to stimulants, with no significant negative effects, and only mild positive effects. I take a 15mg adderall in the morning and notice the cognitive effects for perhaps 1-3 hours after which I'm foggy again, after that time I notice only the bodily sensation (a kind of tightness) which is more associated with L-amphetamine. Unfortunately I can't take a second dose 4-6 hours because this, paradoxically, causes me to become even more fatigued and foggy than if I weren't to take anything at all. I can take a second dose some 10-12 hours later, but then it interferes with my sleep. So what am I to do? I need to be able to function for at least a part of the evening, I'm a student in a very intense program. My physician and I decided to try ritalin, but after several doses it's obvious that 10mg ritalin has exactly zero effect on me. Aside from a slight increase in heart rate I notice no change whatsoever.

Yesterday I couldn't chance not being alert in my organic chemistry lab, because microchemistry is sensitive to even tiny mistakes. So I popped a 15mg adderall in the morning, which got me through my lab, came home and took a 90 minute nap, then immediatelly popped a 10mg ritalin and was able to function pretty well for the rest of the evening and still go to bed. That was great. Somehow taking 10mg ritalin after taking adderall several hours earlier was able to raise dopamine/norepinephrine levels enough to exert a mild stimulant effect.

My current theory is that I've developed cross-tolerance to ritalin from adderall, which is why ritalin has zero effect taken alone. And that I'm a slow metabolizer of adderall, particularly the levorotary enantiomer, which has the longer half-life of the two anyhow. This puts me in a position where I can't take a second dose of adderall soon enough after the first one to maintain a cognitive effect, but I also can't take it later in the evening due to insomnia. But perhaps I can work out some combination of adderall in the morning and ritalin in the evening and that way get a little bit of functionality in the late afternoon/evening hours.

I guess my question is, has this worked for anyone and/or has anyone tried a combination of adderall and ritalin?

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Yes, I have.  The reason the Ritalin worked for you that day was because of the 90 minute nap.  It "reset" and replenished dopamine/norepinephrine.  Ritalin blocks the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine.  Adderall not only blocks the reuptake, but it also causes the neurons that secrete them to release more.  Muscle tightness from amphetamines is common, and it can be alarming, because it can feel like a heart attack, especially since it's always in the chest area.

I would recommend Vyvanse or Dexedrine Spans for you..  There is also slow release Ritalin -- Concerta, or Focalin XR.  Focalin is to Ritalin what Dexedrine is to Adderall.  You will also have to use downers (Lunesta or Ambien) to come off them at night to sleep on time.  These drugs have linear termination/elimination half lives so we can't just switch them on and off and expect to function like everyone else.  We ramp up and we ramp down.  Hope this info helps.  Have you tried Provigil/Nuvigil?

#3 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Unfortunately any medication other than adderall or ritalin is out of the question right now as the insurance I'm on lists sleep disorders as an exclusion so I have to pay 100% out of pocket.

I don't think it could have been the nap alone that allowed the ritalin to show an effect because my attempts at taking it without adderall provided zero benefit, even the first dose taken immediatelyupon waking up.

I'll have to keep experimenting and see what works. I would love to try lisdexamfetamine or modafinil / adafinil but those are waaaay to expensive for me at the moment.

#4 newlifes

newlifes

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

yeah you really need to try modafinil

#5 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Why would they cover Adderall and not Dexedrine?  Dexedrine is cheaper.  There is an extended 20mg release form of Ritalin if they won't deviate off brand name -- Ritalin SA I think.  You can also get modafinil for $1 per pill in Canada.  Many Canadian pharmacies will honor a script from a US sleep doc.

#6 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the information. And to answer your question, they don't cover adderall, either. My physician is willing to write me a prescription for any of the drugs used to treat narcolepsy so I can try them out. However, they're not covered by my insurance and I pay 100% out of pocket. So I pay ~$30/month for Adderall or ~$18/month for Ritalin. I purchase the generics. I've priced dexedrine at local pharmacies and even the generic is more than twice the cost of generic Adderall. Modafinil/Adafanil is something like ~$300/month. Now when you say purchasing from a Canadian pharmacy, do you mean brick-and-mortar or online? Because I'm not sure I'd trust an online pharmacy. I wouldn't have any concerns purchasing from a brick-and-mortar pharmacy, but Canada isn't exactly next door from me.

#7 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Brick and mortar.

#8 kevers

kevers

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

try modafinil online if you're worried about cost.  Nothing wrong with ordering it online.

#9 Beckylaine

Beckylaine

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping, spending time with family & friends

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

I tried vyvanse up to 60mg, nuvigil up to 225mg, & metadate cd (long acting Ritalin) 20mg. None of these work for me for more than about 4 hr for 4 or 5 days. I'm an RN in a cardiovascular lab, a wife, a mother, & a student. I don't have time to be tired. So yes I understand ur frustration. These meds unfortunately don't do much more than an m&m would for me...

#10 Chemist

Chemist

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Well thankfully I'm now in a position where I can try anything, really. So that's positive. I'm trying Vyvanse next because I think I'll almost certainly be combining an atypical antidepressant with a stimulant. I'd like to avoid Xyrem at all costs. Provigil/Nuvigil I will try, but only after Vyvanse if it doesn't work well. Hopefully sometime soon I'll have a combination that works really well for me, and I'll be sure to report what that is when I find it.