• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

I woke up on Saturday hearing my name being called, but knew it was part of the dream I just had, yet, I was also aware of being awake in my room.  I could see the sunlight, and hear my computer.  My question - is this a hallucination?  It had been my understanding that it's not really a hallucination if you can rationalize it, and understand the source.  It's looking more and more like I have sleep paralysis and hallucinations, but didn't diagnose them as such due to the relatively mild effects of each.

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

My opinion, they're just hypnagogic (the 'hypnopompi' term is one I've only seen used recently) dreams, in the end...  

I'm not sure what the medical definitions would be as for hallucinations, but I'd guess a large part of it actually being one, is when you are unable to understand/interpret that it's such (basically as you say/ask)...  I've corrected doctors asking about hallucinations, by saying that I've had plenty of hypnagogic dreams; they've responded with, I'm not used to hearing patients use such terms.

My dreams tend to be perhaps more visual, although there is more to them, and are very intermixed with me awakening often throughout them.  Yet, only slight awakenings, I think it sort of somehow plays into the dreams being very much as though it's like when I'm awake and/or intermixed with every thing I'm familiar with as well as those that I'm familiar with.

If you have been diagnosed with Narcolepsy, then you sort of have been already, or there shouldn't be any surprise by the doctor/s.

Good luck with it all, the only tip I can give is to remember it's just part of Narcolepsy (especially around them occurring, when you awaken / upon awakening).

#3 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

it's my understanding that they're virtually the same, hypnogogic being as you begin sleep, and hypnopompic being when you awaken.

I've been dismissing that, and possibly sleep paralysis, as a "fact of life" and assumed everyone experienced it.  If I do get sleep paralysis, it's very minor.  When I awaken it just feels like there WAS a weight on my chest.  It's only gotten worse in the past 3-4 months - does N get worse over time?  I guess if it's related to auto-immune dysfunction, it may be killing off more of my orexin neurons.

My diagnosis is still sort of up in the air.  The head doc said yeah, you're results are far from normal, and it sounds like N based on your symptoms, this result, and family history of mental issues.  The depression is likely only clinical and a medical marker for the N.  His 2 assistants/trainees weren't able to diagnose me either, despite seeing the SOREMs.  I told the doc everything he was telling me is already what I assumed he would.

I don't think he's officially labelled me yet, but I will be re-doing my sleep study as I feared, and following it up with the MSLT in about a month.  Probably another 2-3 weeks after that test till the final consult and diagnosis.  Until then, no treatment.  I just want to get my symptoms straight in the right terminology.

#4 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

I woke up on Saturday hearing my name being called, but knew it was part of the dream I just had, yet, I was also aware of being awake in my room.  I could see the sunlight, and hear my computer.  My question - is this a hallucination?  It had been my understanding that it's not really a hallucination if you can rationalize it, and understand the source.  It's looking more and more like I have sleep paralysis and hallucinations, but didn't diagnose them as such due to the relatively mild effects of each.

HH are different from hallucinations from mental illness. It is REM related. I have heard music when I first wake up and it was actually pleasant. I would never have assumed it was a symptom of an illness.

#5 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

ok, so then I've certainly been experiencing them.  How about sleep paralysis?  Anyone ever felt like they had been paralysed before awakening, but can move relatively freely?

#6 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

SP and HH have been a minor blip compared to others. For me, SP has been very brief, while I listen to music (HH). Not an unpleasant experience at all, thankfully.

The only way I can explain paralysis (more so from Cataplexy) is that it is like trying to make someone else move. It is not frozen or stiff or difficult or painful. I just do not move. I do not even feel like I am trying to move. It is simply an absence of movement. Fortunately, I generally feel peaceful when I wake up, so the occasional lack of movement is not unpleasant- I just feel like I am deeply sunk into my mattress and pillow.

I am not certain what you are describing- is it a recollection of feeling like you may have been paralyzed or are you aware that you are not moving.

I sometimes have an awareness that I am dreaming during a dream and then wake up from the dream.

Unless it is bothersome or puts your safety at risk, I would suggest not pushing too hard for solid answers- there is enough variation in symptoms that it really does get confusing. When I relax into bedtime sleep ( not daytime) and just allow the experiences while feeling calm and safe it seems to go better for me. Anytime I scare myself by over thinking ( and I have) it makes things more troublesome.

#7 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

It's like someone has just taken a bag of potatoes off of my chest, and my breathing is deep.  Might be an apnea event, tough to say.