ironhands

Sleep Paralysis

8 posts in this topic

I have always thought as sleep paralysis is the complete inability to move.  I frequently experience the feeling where I haven't been breathing, or have been breathing very shallow, and then have the urge to take in as many deep breaths as possible.  It feels like I haven't been breathing and need to "stretch" my lungs/diaphragm.  Is this related to sleep paralysis, or am I likely having central apnea episodes?

This is related to sleep paralysis. I have sleep paralysis both with and without this occurring. I have obstructive sleep apnea as well, so I asked my sleep doc about this when I was first getting diagnosed and treated. My understanding is (hopefully I don't butcher the explanation) that it is that since I am waking but still paralyzed, I am fighting my involuntary system to get control of my breathing back. Your sleep doctor should be able to better explain why.

It's scary. I notice it only happens when I am laying on my back. It feels like something heavy is on me and I am sinking. I want to breath, but can't hardly get any air in and fight/struggle, to try and breath deep and am panicking.

Apnea tends to be brief and I have control of my body and breathing if I am startled awake, usually by a loud snore of my own (although I think, was that really me?)

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. :( Hopefully it doesn't happen much. If it is, that is definitely something to talk to your doctor about.

Best wishes to you!

Hyperventilation maybe?

i've had some tachypnea episodes once in a while.  It almost feels like I'm waking up at the tail end of a paralysis episode, and something WAS on my chest but isn't anymore.  My symptoms are pretty mild, even my hallucinations aren't strong.  This morning I "woke up" and was half in/out.  I remember realizing that my computer was on, there was sunlight, and someone was calling my name from in the dream.  I've never had hallucinations where I wasn't sure of the origin, and I think that's what's kept me from seeking treatment until now; I could rationalize the source and was ok with it.

That was one of my first thoughts, but I'm under very little stress.  Work's boring, no family/friend drama.  My dreams are relatively calm (just weird, of course).

It's not anxiety for me. It is not a pleasant feeling being partially awake fighting to get control so you can breathe. This episode only occurs at night and the frequency has dropped significantly since taking Xyrem.

I have had some strange SP episodes in which every time I took a breath I got more and more light headed until I like I was floating. And I could hear and feel my breath getting shallower until I it was almost a smothering feeling and my head would start burning. so then i would try to wake myself up. Really freaked me out. I am taking xyrem now so it hasn't happened in a while.