• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I have always thought as sleep paralysis is the complete inability to move.  I frequently experience the feeling where I haven't been breathing, or have been breathing very shallow, and then have the urge to take in as many deep breaths as possible.  It feels like I haven't been breathing and need to "stretch" my lungs/diaphragm.  Is this related to sleep paralysis, or am I likely having central apnea episodes?

#2 Hopeful10

Hopeful10

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

This is related to sleep paralysis. I have sleep paralysis both with and without this occurring. I have obstructive sleep apnea as well, so I asked my sleep doc about this when I was first getting diagnosed and treated. My understanding is (hopefully I don't butcher the explanation) that it is that since I am waking but still paralyzed, I am fighting my involuntary system to get control of my breathing back. Your sleep doctor should be able to better explain why.

It's scary. I notice it only happens when I am laying on my back. It feels like something heavy is on me and I am sinking. I want to breath, but can't hardly get any air in and fight/struggle, to try and breath deep and am panicking.

Apnea tends to be brief and I have control of my body and breathing if I am startled awake, usually by a loud snore of my own (although I think, was that really me?)

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. :( Hopefully it doesn't happen much. If it is, that is definitely something to talk to your doctor about.

Best wishes to you!

#3 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hyperventilation maybe?

#4 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

i've had some tachypnea episodes once in a while.  It almost feels like I'm waking up at the tail end of a paralysis episode, and something WAS on my chest but isn't anymore.  My symptoms are pretty mild, even my hallucinations aren't strong.  This morning I "woke up" and was half in/out.  I remember realizing that my computer was on, there was sunlight, and someone was calling my name from in the dream.  I've never had hallucinations where I wasn't sure of the origin, and I think that's what's kept me from seeking treatment until now; I could rationalize the source and was ok with it.

#5 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Anxiety can cause you to wake up suddenly feeling like you can't breathe. Happens to me.

#6 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

That was one of my first thoughts, but I'm under very little stress.  Work's boring, no family/friend drama.  My dreams are relatively calm (just weird, of course).

#7 Hopeful10

Hopeful10

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

It's not anxiety for me. It is not a pleasant feeling being partially awake fighting to get control so you can breathe. This episode only occurs at night and the frequency has dropped significantly since taking Xyrem.

#8 Mmartens3

Mmartens3

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have had some strange SP episodes in which every time I took a breath I got more and more light headed until I like I was floating. And I could hear and feel my breath getting shallower until I it was almost a smothering feeling and my head would start burning. so then i would try to wake myself up. Really freaked me out. I am taking xyrem now so it hasn't happened in a while.