Slurred Speech?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost

Ghost

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

For the last 3 years I have been crazy tired during the day and nothing seemed to help. The DR did multiple blood tests, sent me to a person to find out if it was depression and nothing came about it. I finally fought for a sleep study test which they tested me on my over night sleep and a series of daytime mini naps. Well after the 3rd on the DR came in and asked what I would think if I got diagnosed with Narcolepsy. I ended up getting told I have Excessive Daytime Sleepyness and since then I have started researching Narcoplesy.

What Im trying to get at is what exactly is Cataplexy? I dont fall down or anything but when Im nervous (which is usually talking on the phone or with people I dont really know) I slur my speech ALOT. Does this have anything to do with Cataplexy?

Also my DR has put me on 200mg of Provigil and Ive noticed its kind of spotty on when it works. Some days I will be amped and others I can have the TV going and music on my laptop and randomly pass out. Is it all about finding the right drug?

Thanks

-Ghost

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Cataplexy included a wide range of symptoms beyond the classic full body collapse. I have Cataplexy and my symptom range does include slurred speech.

If this happens, take note of the setting and emotion preceding it.

Do you ever drop things without a good reason. Have you had clumsy falls where the cause was a mystery. Do you ever laugh so hard you need to sit. Does your handwriting change throughout the day.

I never knew cataplexy could be responsible for so many seemingly unrelated quirks about me.

#3 squirrel!

squirrel!

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

If you do a search, there are a million posts about cataplexy. It's different for each person and can be so very subtle. many people initially think they don't have it, but after really looking make realize that they do. Just pay close attention to those little quirks and keep a journal.

Good luck!!

#4 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

I knew a person with Narcolepsy who slurred her speech so badly that people thought she was drunk all the time...she didn't drink alcohol at all.

I always think that I'm communicating when I'm having a C episode...turns out that nobody can understand a thing I'm trying to say. I have mastered one word, although it comes out very weakly,..."DOWN!"

#5 Ghost

Ghost

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

Cataplexy included a wide range of symptoms beyond the classic full body collapse. I have Cataplexy and my symptom range does include slurred speech.

If this happens, take note of the setting and emotion preceding it.

Do you ever drop things without a good reason. Have you had clumsy falls where the cause was a mystery. Do you ever laugh so hard you need to sit. Does your handwriting change throughout the day.

I never knew cataplexy could be responsible for so many seemingly unrelated quirks about me.

I have noted what setting ane emotion it happens in because it happens quite frequent. Its mainly when talking on the phone, talking to higher ups and talking to new people. Im usually nervous during these times. I do bump into things alot without realizing it. My wife is the one that pointed that out but I also have moments when I go into an autodrive state. Like I some how end up putting my wallet in the fridge or a bag of groceries in the closet without realizing it until I look for them or discover them later on.

If you do a search, there are a million posts about cataplexy. It's different for each person and can be so very subtle. many people initially think they don't have it, but after really looking make realize that they do. Just pay close attention to those little quirks and keep a journal.

Good luck!!

Ive done some looking around and Ive noticed mix results. Some say happiness and laughter usually bring on C episodes but nothing about nervousness. I know it verys person to person but just trying to get a feel if this is anything major and if I need to see the DR about it.

#6 squirrel!

squirrel!

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm new to all of this and have just been documenting my possible cataplexy attacks for about 8 weeks. several of them happened when I was nervous or anxious. In this case I had some lower lip trembling and numbness. I also get the weak knees thing. Am not sure how common it is across the board, but I know nervousness fuels it for me!

Good luck!