Livi

Rem

36 posts in this topic

One doesn't negate the other, and if you do have any level of sleep apnea on your next PSG I recommend treating it. When I had "mild" sleep apnea 3 years ago (11 RDIs/hr), they downplayed any treatment for it. Today I realized that my most recent poly showed only 2 RDI. (maybe because i lost 10 pounds?). Maybe no more sleep apnea is the reason I feel so much better than I did 3 years ago. I wish they had emphasized treating it because even mild apnea did make my EDS much worse.

I wouldn't believe the 0 Apneas result if I were you.... Hopefully your next test will be accurate - whenever that is.

Just a weird question about REM:

If you're doing your MSLT, and you fall into Stage 1 sleep which is very light sleep, and you're still aware of your surroundings, and you start imagining "counting sheep" jumping over a fence, is that considered REM?  Is that lucid dreaming?  

lucid dreaming is where you're consciously aware of dreaming, think of it a little like the matrix

But is it REM, when you know you're imagining sheep jumping over a fence while you're in Stage 1 sleep.

stage 1 is stage 1 and REM is REM. dreams do not happen in stage 1. Some dreams (like night terrors) can happen in nonREM stage 3/4 sleep. 

It has been confusing for me because what I am thinking about when I begin to fall asleep tends to roll over into REM. And, for PWN we race into REM. I never took naps because I thought I was just lying there awake wasting time.  

On my MSLT, the 2 naps where I reported I had not slept (just laid there thinking) were the same 2 naps where I hit REM within 3 minutes.

So, now when I nap, I repeat the same thing over and over (first line of Lord's prayer). When my thoughts start wandering, I tell myself I am dreaming. I seem to have the ability to wake myself up from within a drean (others too) and that just ruins my sleep. I am told that "Lucid" aspect where I can tell myself I am dreaming- that awareness within a dream- is not uncommon for PWN because there is an instability between sleep/wake states. Go figure.

It all sounds so odd, but it just is what it is. When my eyes are closed, I take it all with a grain of salt.

If you're experiencing a dream-like state during stage 1, it may be associated with hypnagogic hallucinations

Yeah, that's why I was asking.  I reported that I had not slept on 4 of my naps, but on 3 of those 4 I had hit REM.  I guess my thinking about stuff rolled into REM.  I know Stage1 is Stage1 and REM is REM but I wasn't sure how the brain waves look in Stage 1 vs REM or how the electrodes for eye movement register REM.  If you purposely move your eyes around alot in Stage 1 then the electrodes for eye movement would register rapid eye movement, but I guess the EEG waves would show Stage 1 sleep.

Your last paragraph makes sense with what I experience.

Alpha, theta and delta waves are present in different stages of sleep. Then there are sleep spindles and other stuff. I consider all that stuff way too technical for my need to know- like a "users manual" vs schematics.

Eye movements alone do not indicate REM sleep. And voluntary vs involuntary movements register differently. There is no way to give a false REM by moving your eyes. If you purposefully moved your eyes, it would show a consistency with purposeful eye movement. You just can't fake the real thing.

Ok.  Was wondering if you could get a false positive for REM.  Thanks.  

Also, I remember being aware of swallowing every few minutes.  So I don't see how I could have been asleep like they said I was, if I was thinking and swallowing and hearing the footsteps in the hallway.  I didn't remember any dreams.

So many mysteries to being us.

Again, when my eyes are closed, I take everything with a grain of salt. I don't believe a word my brain says when my eyes are closed. Just like I don't believe our dogs when they stare at their food bowl- they are tricky.

I give you credit for having a curious mind and searching for so many answers. Ask your questions and get your answers- whatever puts you at ease.

I like to think of a line from the movie Tommy Boy- "You can get a good look at a T-bone by......, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it". That keeps me from overwhelming myself with questions and I have a tendancy for that.

Good point, Hank..... and knowing for myself how tired I am all the time, and that I could fall asleep in 2 seconds as I type this, I really don't doubt my results when all is said and done.... guess I'd still rather be in denial for as long as I can.