Beckylaine

Effects Of Effexor

9 posts in this topic

I started taking Effexor about 2 years ago for anxiety & depression. I take 150mg at night. From what I understand, the Effexor could suppress REM & effect results of MSLT?? I only entered REM in during 1 nap, but I was experiencing sleep attacks b/t my naps. Could the Effexor & sleeps attacks b/t naps skewed my MSLT?

It was my understanding that you should be off all antidepressants before testing for this reason. I'm not super familiar with Effexor. did your Dr know you were on it for he sleep test?

Yes I had listed all my meds. I was told only to be off of vyvanse for 48 hours before, but nothing about Effexor.

Yes.  That MSLT is invalid -- Effexor is a REM suppressant, and you should have been off it.  As a matter of fact, you have to be off all hypnotics, stimulants, and anti-depressants for SIX MONTHS.  It takes six months for sleep EEG to normalize, and even then sometimes it never does.  You have to keep yourself awake between naps, even it means slapping yourself against the face continuously.  It is for these reasons my sleep doc no longer does MSLTs.

No problem.  Plus, for some people, Effexor makes them even sleepier than they would be otherwise.  It did that with me.

I've managed to cut my dose in half.