I Need Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Giff0789

Giff0789

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

So a little about me I am 24 years old I was diagnosed with depression, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, narcolepsy.
But here is my story I have been called worthless damn near my hole life cause I can't get up on my own and a ass hole to wake up. So there for I have lost every job I ever have had. Not only jobs neither I can't even get my self up for things I love to do. I have done a lot of reading on this site and these story's of people's life is me and don't know how to deal with it. I have no insurance to go see the doctor.

#2 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

First you need to find a clinic in your area to get on some meds that will help you. Second you need to try and forget what people have called you, because they have no idea what your going through.

I have a full time job and take care of everything I have to, but it's a fight everyday. I have lost so many friends because I can't get myself going to do things with them.

I think if you get on the right meds you will be able to hold down a job and the rest will eventually fall in place if you really push your self.

Good Luck

#3 corey91386

corey91386

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Family, Feeling Better!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I love it when Doctors give narcoleptics multiple diagnosis's. ADD and depression should in included because lack of sleep causes both. Narcoleptics are always sleep deprived. Hang in there you will find a way to get through it. You are tougher than you think!

#4 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think your story echoes many peoples on this forum, and many/most off of it as well.

Before your negative thoughts spiral out of control, recognize the fact that you may simply be irrational at the moment, and letting your emotions get the better of you.  It's very common, I do the same thing once in a while.  When I was your age I had a boss who would literally call me worthless daily, it was insane, but I was too scared to seek other employment because I was consistently told nobody would ever hire me.  Eventually I found the courage to leave and did find employment.

What did I discover later?  He was schizophrenic.  

Point being, people don't know what they're talking about, and their own realities are often different from the actual truth.

Are you worthless because you haven't found a job suitable for your abilities?  No.  Worth is not about your employment status.  It's about how you live your life, and how you can learn to respect yourself, and those around you.  Not all of us end up doctors and lawyers and business executives, that doesn't make one person better than another; lately it just means they have better contacts and didn't get caught cheating in college.

If you're feeling really down, I'd recommend calling a help line, there are many full of people who like to listen.  All you might need right now, is for someone to listen, even if they can't offer any advice.

What might help, on both fronts, is some volunteer or charity work.  This can lead to employment, but the positive energy will do you wonders.  People will thank you, and make you feel good about yourself.  They usually have pretty open schedules so if you aren't well enough to make it in at a specific time, it's cool.

You'll be fine.  I apologize if I do sound callous anywhere above, it's not my intention.  I can come off as harsh from time to time, one of the issues I have to deal with as well; my phrasing often comes across as douchebaggery :(

Hope you feel better soon.  I'm not sure what advice I can give you about the medical situation, I'm in Canada so I don't have to worry about those things, which is great because like many on here, I have a low paying job.

#5 Giff0789

Giff0789

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am on a methylphenidate is that the right kind of medicine cause I sometimes think it works but sometimes makes it a lil worse?

#6 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

it is A right kind, but might not BE the right kind for YOU.  Its entirely possible that it's making things worse.

Everyones chemistry is a little different, so it might be time to switch to a different drug.  Ritalin only made me mad.

My first SSRI was Paxil, and OMG it was so good for the first 2 months, until I spent an entire weekend crying for absolutely no reason.  by the time the dosage was 6 times what I started with, and I was hallucinating it was time for a change.  

Perhaps Adderall might be an option for you if you're still having sleepy days, but, it sounds like you're really depressed right now, Wellbutrin might be useful for you.  There are lots and lots of options for you, and unfortunately, there's no way to be sure what works unless you try it.

#7 doinmdirndest

doinmdirndest

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive and wakeful, having fun doing it. Pursuit of the truth.

Being w/the woman I love, and looking out for the both of us (and our little dog, too).

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

keep punching.

when I was your age I went through the same thing. I am in construction; always was. bosses never gave me work for long, they all said I didn't work hard enough. other men on site sometimes made jokes at my expense. "do this." one said, holding his upraised wrist between his thumb and forefinger. I did. "feel anything?" "yes" said I, he says, "just checking".

before treatment I never held one job longer than 8 months. most were just a few weeks or days. this went on well into my 30s. I am 52.

today I am a superintendant's laborer on large public works projects. I have been w/ my firm 9 years. I am considered an asset. the other men only comment about my being a truly hard worker.

get diagnosed and treated. it will change your whole world for the better.

#8 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Chemistry, Medicine, Science, Computers, Traveling, Not Being Tired

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

So a little about me I am 24 years old I was diagnosed with depression, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, narcolepsy.
But here is my story I have been called worthless damn near my hole life cause I can't get up on my own and a ass hole to wake up. So there for I have lost every job I ever have had. Not only jobs neither I can't even get my self up for things I love to do. I have done a lot of reading on this site and these story's of people's life is me and don't know how to deal with it. I have no insurance to go see the doctor.

Your first objective should be getting yourself in a position where you're able to see a doctor, possibly a counselor, and afford any medications you need. If you have no health insurance presently, and you can't afford any, immediately look into potentially getting medicaid coverage, and also see if any hospitals/health provider networks nearby you have financial assistance programs for underinsured/uninsured/poor patients. You absolutely need to be able to see a physician and afford medication at a minimum, possibly a counselor/therapist as well. And you need to be able to do these things without going bankrupt. Even if you can only find a way to be seen by a physician but not afford your medication, there are some patient assistance programs (PAPs) for some narcolepsy medications, notably Vyvanse and Nuvigil. Take advantage of these kinds of programs wherever you can. You don't have to do this in one day or even a week, but make it your primary goal and use every ounce of determination you have to accomplish the goal. Remember: Slow and steady wins the race.

Once you find an effective treatment that gives you enough energy to stabilize your sleep-wake cycle and allows you to get work done during the day, you can start building up from there. Best of luck.

#9 Bella

Bella

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

I am newly diagnosed & can fully understand being misunderstood by others. I have felt the same way about myself at times but getting the diagnosis that explains my thinking and lack of living to my expectations is somewhat validating in that I know why I am the way I am. Convincing others is another story. The deal about others and their rejection and criticism is difficult, but if they aren't willing to listn and try to understand, they don't deserve you or your time - their loss. You aren't in this world to please them. And, anyone who calls someone who is tired worthless has problems of their own they should be focusing on. People that matter are the ones who try to understand even if it is hard. Being tired all the time is cause for concern, not anger. I mean, why would ANYONE choose to live the way we do? This is no fun - not experiencing all that we want to due to limitations! As for medical help, I assume you have tried Medicaid? The other possibilities are clinics for low-income individuals (a church owns 1 where I live) and I would look into the churches in your area and explain your situation and ask for assistance to see a Dr. We are struggling big time and their are churches out their that will help you even if you aren't a member. The other idea is, if you are in an urban area, you might have a resource service by dialing 211. I would try it regardless of where you are. They match people up with services in their area with several needs. It's a resource hotline. Keep your chin up. I didn't write about anything I haven't experienced myself. Be gentle with yourself :)