At Mslt Right Now... Does "half Asleep" Count As "asleep"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 squirrel!

squirrel!

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I know that's a strange question... But I am hoping someone knows what I mean. When I take naps, I often call it being "half asleep" because I can hear what's going around me, but I know I am sleeping. It's like this strange place between asleep and awake, knowing I could go either way. these naps only last 10-15 min for me but I always feel refreshed afterwards.
Is this something anyone can relate to? can I have REM on this type of nap?

I am at the MSLT today, 3 naps in. I am just worried nothing will show up for me. : /

Thanks guys!

#2 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Your description sounds like hypnagogic hallucinations.

My personal experience with HH is often almost surreal. I'll be laying down and I can hear what is going on around me and I have this sense of my surroundings. I often feel as if I'm awake - but it is also combined with sleep paralysis. I feel like I'm stuck - I want to look over at the door but feel too tired or as if my body is too heavy to move. But it's never scary - and it took me a while to recognize these as HH and especially SP.

And it is likely if these are HH episodes you are experiencing that REM will be present.

#3 squirrel!

squirrel!

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Really? Wow. I never thought of it that way. I don't really see anything though, I just hear noises going on around me- like the buzzing fan, people walking etc. it's never scary or anything like that. I am sleeping, but I could still tell you what was on tv. Strange.

#4 exanimo

exanimo

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, reading, writing, poetry, hiking, camping, college, art, anthropology, history, biology, anatomy &physiology...

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hallucinations are not just visual - they incorporate all senses. Auditory hallucinations are quite common.

#5 Livi

Livi

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Sorry, I don't buy that.   

Stage 1 sleep is a very light sleep where you are still aware of your surroundings.  They are not hallucinations when the noises are actually there, for example the fan that is still running when you wake up.  That's like, did the tree fall if nobody was around to hear it.  or if you heard it, was it a hallucination.  

It's totally normal.  Even "normal" people have this very light Stage 1 sleep.