Orexin/hypocretin Agonists?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Go look at Jazz's recent profits.  Just Google it.  They're making a killing on Xyrem with all the price hikes.  The insurance companies are the ones who really should be complaining.  The drug is so difficult to get, it may as well not exist.

Doctors are reluctant to prescribe it, and insurance companies require that you do a few cartwheels to get it.  For example, my insurance company, Great-West Life, requires a full drop cataplexy, and the doctor must witness it.  In addition to that, all other drugs to treat cataplexy must have failed first.  Why?  Because the drug is so darn expensive.

#42 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

OK, I'm caving. They're capitalist pharma pigs at a feeding frenzy.

The increase in pricing monthly is unconscionable.

I had no idea that the price had increased that much until I read this...

http://forums.narcol...deal-for-xyrem/

#43 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

From what I understand, Jazz nearly went under a few years ago and started using price hikes on Xyrem as one of its ways to dig itself out of the hole. And then they were in danger of patent expiration in a few years, so they got a 5 year extension IRC by exchanging one of the hydrogen atoms with a deuterium, which slightly increases the half-life and bio-availibility they say. And maybe it does, but somehow, I doubt that was the motivating factor.

#44 Chippervan

Chippervan

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

I know this is stupid but say everyone gave up there medication for a few months and put it in a pot. Would that cover initial costs? I know i would be willing to do a lot to get a proper treatment. I just think, imagine you build a really good business model. So its not a donation as such, its more of an investment. This would require a lot and maybe it is impossible but maybe its worth a discussion. a positive brainstorming sesssion instead of a list of why it can't happen. and if you throw out a figure on drug development maybe base it on something specific (e.g. cost per/kg of synthesizing hypocretin, number of test subjects required, etc.). imagine in 10 years hypocretin comes out and all our receptors are gone. a study of mignot's in 2008 suggested this would not be the case, whoop whoop! but still nothings certain. the sooner hypocretin comes out the better

#45 Chippervan

Chippervan

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

My bad. Just saw the wakeupnarcolepsy website. 

#46 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

You're not bad, you're awesome. Thanks for the link

http://www.wakeupnarcolepsy.com

From that link I found the transcript of the recent FDA meeting and I will post it also where it was requested.

http://www.wakeupnar...-hearing-video/

It looks to be around 4 hours between the two links...think I'll have a nap in between :P