• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff, video games, not feeling like bum

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

I just completed a sleep study a few weeks ago, and got my results faxed to me.  I went in with suspected OSA/catathrenia, and came out with a perfect score on respiratory.

Sleep patterns, a whole other issue.  REM latency, 6 minutes. 

Like most I'd assumed nacrolepsy requires cataplexy.  I've never had issues like that, just daytime sleepiness.  I always want to take a nap, I can't focus, and I have no energy.  I sit at a desk, and when I'm home I'm usually laying in bed.

I have dropped into sleep at work, but not in a few years, though I'm sure if I put my head down I could fall asleep.

I often have auditory hallucinations when attempting to sleep.  Usually, I think I hear the radio playing music I've never heard.

When i was in school, around noon I'd feel strange, like my muscles were tingly, and my stomach would tense up and I'd be incredibly hungry.  I get the same thing now around 5pm, and as a result, eat a massive meal when I get home, usually 2 pounds of food.

Had depression issues most of my life, was on anti-depressants for a while, and they really messed with my sleep.  Was always tired, and would often have false-awakenings, and many pre-lucid dreams.

I've seen that orexin/hypocretin deficiency connects with narcolepsy, depression, and appetite.  Do I finally have a diagnosis? 

if so, from what I've seen, there's not really much in the way of treatment other than stimulants, and NRIs, but aren't there some orexin agonists in the works?

I would appreciate any comments/advice.  I've only just started looking into this in the past couple of hours, so I could use any guidance someone might have.  I'll be speaking with the sleep doctor in a few days to go over the results, but I'm assuming that he'll just send me off to a neurologist, right?

*edit*

adding my hypnogram

IMG_20130814_145257.jpg

#2 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

The orexin agonists will probably not happen for a long time. N just is widespread enough for there to be a lot of market-driven research. They've already done it in lab environments. Just no one has found it economically feasible to carry the research forward to an actual product apparently.

#3 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

From what I had read, they were also thinking of using it as a general anti-depressant as well, should be a large market for that, but yeah, I don't expect it to be any time soon.  Looks like I'll just have to stick with the standard treatment of symptoms.  Stims to keep me awake.  There are only a handful of drugs being prescribed right now, and aren't they pretty expensive?

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

It looks like you spent most of the night in stage 2 sleep (excepting that long period you woke up for). That's kind of atypical for Narcolepsy; usually you would see a lot of REM. Did you do an MSLT yet? But yea your SWS is definitely low.

#5 ironhands

ironhands

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

It looks like you spent most of the night in stage 2 sleep (excepting that long period you woke up for). That's kind of atypical for Narcolepsy; usually you would see a lot of REM. Did you do an MSLT yet? But yea your SWS is definitely low.

that long period was when the tech came to change the electrodes.  6 times in 30 minutes, there was something wrong with the box.

I haven't done anything other than the study, haven't gone over the results with anyone yet, it's set for a few days and we'll discuss treatment options I guess.  Trying to do as much pre-research so I know what to ask.  

Sick of feeling like crap every morning, but I'm in reasonable health otherwise, cholesterol's a little high, b12's a little low, because I eat poorly, because i'm too tired to cook properly :P

Not looking forward to doing an MSLT, I go really stir crazy and flip out when I'm awakened.

Thanks for your input