Night Time Sleep In Narcolepsy And Polysomnogram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aishling

Aishling

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

I understand that narcolepsy can be diagnosed if there is a short sleep onset latency and 2 SOREMPS.  What about the polysomnogram and the night time sleep of someone with narcolepsy?  My night time REM onset was delayed and sleep was fragmented but my sleep latency is short.  Does narcolepsy mean that you always have sleep onset REM at night as well?

#2 IdiopathicHypersomniac

IdiopathicHypersomniac

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

No.  Sleep fragmentation is consistent with narcolepsy though.

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Narcolepsy doesn not always have SOREM. And at night N sleep is usually marked by fragmentation. It just looks like a mess basically. My PSGs were filled with PLMSs, central sleep apneas, low efficiency and hundreds of spontaneous arousals.

SOREM is a big deal on the MSLT, not the PSG.

Hope that helps.

#4 Aishling

Aishling

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Does narcolepsy mean you always have SOREMPS on your MSLT?  I have to do that part over again.   I will probably be diagnosed with idiopathic and maybe narcolepsy.  Even though I am reading what I can on the internet about these disorders I am not really sure what the difference is or if they are related.  As far as I know I haven't had cataplexy but there was something that is a maybe.  The big thing for me has been hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations as well as sleep paralysis.  I have central apnea like you do.  My dreams are like mini Stephen King movies that often keep playing when I get up at night or in the morning.  Thanks for your info, it is very helpful.

#5 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

I would suggest not thinking too much about the diagnoses at this point. If you are going to repeat the tests- just try to relax into it. It is easy to get wound up about it. I had never heard of IH and did not want a N diagnosis, so I tried to keep myself awake during the MSLT- no luck- I still fell asleep.

So, my suggestion is- whatever it is, it is. You cannot cause SOREM and if you are too wound up, you may prevent it or otherwise skew your results.

Do, of course educate yourself but not too much at this point. And don't look too hard for other people's experiences to fill your head. Just try to be a good patient and give an accurate history of your experience. Make sure you have good doctors and then trust them with the diagnosis.

#6 Livi

Livi

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

I was wound up, very anxious too. Still had 3 SOREMs.