Photo

Any Graduate Thesis Ideas That Incorporate Forensic Science And Narcolepsy?

forensics biology dna hypocretin histamine sequencing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Think_Freely

Think_Freely

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:All things science
    Astrophysics
    Philosophy
    EDM
    Music festivals

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

In a year I will have an undergraduate degree in forensic molecular biology and will be entering graduate school to get an M.S. in forensic science. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do my thesis on and would love to study more about narcolepsy through my thesis. Because I want to be a DNA analyst and I have experience with sequencing DNA, I'm thinking about using a next-generation sequencing method to look at genetic causes of narcolepsy, such as SNP in the NLC1A gene.

So,, what questions do you have about the genetic causes of narcolepsy? What studies would you like to see done on narcolepsy? And, if you feel up to the challenge, how is forensic science linked to narcolepsy?

#2 collegewriter

collegewriter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Psychology - mainly behavioral neuroscience, psychopharmacology, law, politics, computer hardware & overclocking, EDM (especially Euro)

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

I come from a behavioral neuroscience background with internships at law-firms. I personally would like to see why some with the genes that increase the likely-hood of N, do not ever develop it.

To me this suggests a phenotypic expression, of said genes, plays an important role in the development of N.

For example, I experienced childhood trauma and suffer terrible migraines. The relation of either, to N, would be a thesis/dissertation that even I am considering pursuing.

#3 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

There is a member of this forum- Samwise- who is a genetic counsellor.

I am the father of identical twins and hope that none of my children inherit N from me. I appreciate any future research contributions you all make. Thanks.

#4 jobare07

jobare07

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

There is a great House episode on this though I don't remember the title. 
For the forensic bit: 

If you encounter the whole "lucid dreaming", you know that it can get quite confusing with real life when there is also sleep paralasis, leading to hallucination. In the epsiode of house, the guy didn't have the sleep paralysis bit but actually had sleep walking afflictions and acted out his dreams. People thought he was crazy, but he was undiagnosed. 

Anyways, on the other bit, 
I know my father has insomnia (diagnosed) and that I have Narcolepsy. As far as questions go, to my understanding narcolepsy is an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the nuero-cells containing hypocretin. Now, genetically, I just learned that it is the genetic SNP in the NLC1A gene. Therefore, I would be wonder does it have to be some combination of a compromised immune system AND genetic precursor? The narcolepsy has been present for a long time (~7 years), but came at me full force in a period of about two years after a weird week in my life of zero sleep (which I still fail to understand how or why, since it had never happened before), in addition to eczema, and a myriad of other medical problems. 
Are different autoimmune diseases intricately LINKED? Should we be differentiating them or do they all have a similar root?

I could come up with about a bagillion questions. It both fascinates me and perplexes me. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forensics, biology, dna, hypocretin, histamine, sequencing