The Search For The Perfect Bed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 louie

louie

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I just spent a month sleeping on my camper mattress with memory foam on top. It was wonderful. Would it be weird to get a bed like that? What kind of mattress do you sleep on?

#2 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

For around a year and a half now, I've had an expensive (still paying for it, although it was cheaper than the one linked, but is that mattress) 'Talalay Latex' mattress -> http://www.latexblis...fusion-regbase 

- It is great and I don't regret the dive, I've never had a bed that compares to it. 

- If allergies are a problem, these are the best you can get because they're naturally hypoallergenic.  However, some can be allergic to Latex, so...

- They do not allow dust mites/bedbugs to reproduce, like normal mattresses, which is a nice quality.

- They have small holes throughout them which allows for the mattress to breathe, you do have to get nice cotton sheets and not have a plastic cover on the mattress, as well as using a frame that has slats (rather than a box spring) so that the air can breathe through the bottom of it (it breathes through the sides as well).

- Latex mattresses are comparable, in feel and the manner of being excellent for ones back, to Memory Foams.  Memory foams are made of glues and a lot of chemicals which can over time or if the bed is damaged, be harmful; compared to (at least with high quality latex mattresses, being types of Dunlap and Talalay) being Natural Talalay Latex: Non Toxic, Allergen Free, Dust Mite Resistant, Antibacterial, Breathable...

I spent months waiting, thinking, trying out mattresses, researching and today I couldn't be happier. 

I recommend that you spend time doing the same.

I still have pretty crappy sleep, but my body aches less and I am always comfortable in the bed, as long as I don't have a headache or other ache going into it or from just being in bed too long.  

Having Narcolepsy with Cataplexy, as well as minimal-moderate 'idiopathic central sleep apnea,' the above is to be expected...

Good luck, thought I'd respond and describe my perspective.

#3 wisher

wisher

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:cookies, goats, cute things

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

My husband and I finally splurged and bought a memory foam bed. We got the Serta Genius (http://www.mattressf...-Foam-P255.aspx) and it's been pretty amazing. Honestly, I think a memory foam bed is great, if you can afford it. I feel so much more supported while laying on it, and I have a lot less soreness when I wake up.

I say, go with whateevr kind of bed works best for you and affords you the best sleep you can get.