premednarc

Doctors With Narcolepsy??

55 posts in this topic

I just recently started on XYREM and have not suffered from cataplexy but have experienced hypnopompic hallucinations and sleep paralysis. Not frequently, but sometimes I worry about that possibility while on call.

i looked closer at my paperwork and t goes directly to some nurse in employee health and talking with a co-intern (just generally about the form, no one knows) and it is believed that it should all be confidential since it is technically personal medical information and they can't disclose it to the program.

also on this note, there is a clause in my employment paperwork stating if I don't fill it out to the best of my knowledge that it could be grounds for termination if they were to find anything out. Plus I would test positive on a drug screen 

You have two choices, disclose it and see where it goes or consult a good attorney experienced in Healthcare related law. If in CA or CO I can recommend groups.  Unfortunately they are expensive but they have the expertise needed.

Don't forget Xyrem regulates & improves sleep.  Is good, if tolerated, for those without cataplexy like myself.

Reading through this thread has been so helpful! I am in a slightly different situation as I am about to graduate from veterinary school and have matched to begin an internship in a few months. I am curious for those of you who take Xyrem and have significant shift work and on call, have you developed good strategies for flip-flopping your schedules? has anyone requested accommodations so that they can take Xyrem? During my clinical year I found that I needed 48 hours to fully reverse my sleep schedule. Going into an internship, there are times when I will need to switch back and forth between night and day shifts multiple times in a single week. My initial thought was to request exemption from this schedule by officially disclosing my disability to HR. This is concerning, though, as I would hate for this to effect my chances of obtaining a residency. Of course, developing severe cataplexy during a stressful procedure or making mistakes which could possibly harm my patients is of much greater concern. I was also realizing that by asking to be allowed a more consistent schedule and for time to take Xyrem/sleep I am not so much requesting accommodations to ameliorate current impairments but I am actually asking for accommodations to prevent impairment. I am not sure if that would even qualify me for accommodations until I am actually in a situation where my narcolepsy is no longer well managed. If any of you have experiences or advice or good strategies for dealing with frequent and abrupt schedule changes or requesting accommodations through HR I would greatly appreciate any advice. 

I think the only issue would an "on call situation"  where you could sleep but may be awakened and have to perform tasks in an alert state. In these situation you cannot take Xyrem. When I travel out of the country, I just take Xyrem when I know I can get at least 4 hrs of sleep and not have to do any task like driving for 6 hours from my last dose of Xyrem.  I try to get back to my 2 doses 4 hrs apart schedule as soon as possible.  In that regard, we (may) have an edge over non-narcoleptics as Xyrem in these situations allow a better sleep adjustment.