Photo

Curing Narcolepsy With Chiropractic Care?

Chiropractor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marshallteddy

marshallteddy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Snowboarding, and skateboarding.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

I have been receiving chiropractic care for a couple years due to back pains and poor posture. I started seeing a new chiropractor just before my diagnosis of narcolepsy. He was a little of and seemed crazy, but knew what he was doing. I had fallen asleep at the wheel and totaled my car, slightly injuring my sternum and back. I went in to the chiropractor to get treated for the new pains comming from my back. He asked
How it happened and I told him and said I was Going to get tested for Narcolepsy. He said to tell him as soon as I knew because he could "fix" narcolepsy. Obviously I just assumed he was being crazy like he always is, he talks alot and seems to bend the truth in the stories he tells. Anyways, he told me Narcolepsy is caused from your your spine pinching a nerve and that with a couple weeks of adjustments he could unpinch the nerve, freeing me from narcolepsy. Again I thought he was crazy, but said I'd give it a try. Weeks went by and it was hard to tell a difference since I had been prescribed a stimulant. I had noticed the first couple adjustments I had dreams those nights, but never again.

Basically what I'm trying to get at here is that I'm wondering if any of you know if you
Can cute narcolepsy with chiropractic care and if it is actually cause by a pinch nerve, or if that's just a myth chiropractors use to get money. Has anyone here ever treated narcolepsy with chiropractic care and if so, has it helped? Have you noticed any improvements? Maybe it won't completely get rid of the N, but it might make it less intense.

Another question I'd like to ask is if anyone knows if there's a trend with people with N having a history of bad backs, or poor posture?

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

There is no cure for Narcolepsy. It is caused by the destruction of orexin/ hypocretin neurons in the brain. It is not caused by a pinched nerve.

I benefited from chiropractic care for my back for years prior to my diagnosis. They talk a good game.

Adjusting a pinched nerve will no more cure Narcolepsy than it will cure Diabetes or Multiple Sclerosis.

I think some alternative practitioners equate Narcolepsy with garden variety symptoms of fatigue or tiredness. Narcolepsy is not a symptom, it is a rare disease.

Stanford University and researchers around the world are looking for a cure and have not found one yet. So, either your chiropractor is a brilliant man keeping his secret of a cure all to himself at his little Tennessee office or he is spinning tales.

If he helps your back great.

#3 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

I'd say that he's handing you a line to get you to keep seeing him.
On the other hand, chronic pain can keep you from sleeping well...which would lead to EDS.
It would be interesting to ask him, to his face, if he knows what Cataplexy is.
I'm all for trying out new possibilities but his claim seems a little over the top.

#4 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, alternative medicine has great applications for symptom alleviation. But curing the problem, doubtful. I've considered acupuncture because of heard people say it helps with headaches. I have many headaches and they seem to somehow correlate with the brain fog. But unless you pinched your hypothalamus and he knows how to message that out, it's not gonna work :(

#5 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

FYI Wabbit, when I had that headache for three years, I did go weekly for accupuncture treatments. Made no difference whatsoever. It was finally discovering that MSG was causing the headache that resolved the problem.
Three years seems to be a magic number for me when it comes to tolerating pain. I also went to a Chiropracter for a frozen shoulders that got so bad that both shoulder blades were winging out. He didn't fix that problem either. Six shots of cortisone by a GP didn't either. A homeopathic Doctor determined I had a magnesium deficiency and taking supplements for six weeks made me pain free for the first time in those three years. End of problem shoulders...and it positively seems like voodoo the way an exam takes place. I don't care...it worked.
Try anything...maybe it will work for you.

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

I need to get an allergy test done. Along with the tests for infectious agents. I just don't know how to make that happen without sounding lie a hypochondriac. But I don't ant to suffer all of my life thinking I have something incurable if it's realyl something else or if the N is being exacerbated by a comorbidity.