Worse The More You Sleep?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Serison

Serison

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Does anyone find that if they sleep a normal amount of time they feel worse than 4-6 hours of sleep? If I sleep 7-9 hours, I'm completely out of it all day. Wondering is there are others as I usually read its the other way around.

#2 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Just curious about when that happens for you.

When I stay on my schedule, I feel well. When I sleep longer, it is generally because I really need it.

I make it through each work day without a nap. I can make it through the evening ok but then I am spent after 8 pm.

On the weekends, I will sleep 1-2 hours longer. I will then take a nap on the weekends. So, if I look at it, I need a nap on the days I sleep longer.

However, I have to let myself rest up on the weekends to make up for the previous week and to prepare for the upcoming week.

When I give in to sleep and let myself rest up on the weekends, I get less accomplished than during the week.

Being passive brings on sleepiness. Being active helps me keep sleepiness at bay. I cannot manage more than 4-5 "active days" in a row. And I need at least 2 days to recover from those 4-5 days.

If we have a busy weekend planned, I try to schedule a Friday or Monday off so I do not wear myself out.

So, I am curious for you if you see a pattern.

I think that for someone with N, 4-6 hours of sleep is just not enough. Our sleep is so inefficient that 7-8 hours is really the bare minimum. Your body/brain may be trying to catch up on the 7-9 hour days to make up for the 4-6 hour days.

#3 Serison

Serison

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Usually I sleep about 8 hours a night and always tired. But if I sleep more then that, I feel absolutely terrible and have to have a couple of naps to make it through the day. It just that whenever I don't get much sleep, like I have to get up early for something and only get four hours sleep I feel great, not normal but far better then usual. Maybe I am trying try to catch up on sleep, but it just feels so awful.

#4 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

When you get up early for something important, are you excited (pos or neg) with a little adrenaline flowing.

I am curious if you are more "actively" engaged when you have a new commitment that requires getting up early. The downside of routine for me is that I can slump into a more "passive" feel. Something new helps me be more alert.

#5 Serison

Serison

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Yeah being interested in something new does help. I'm going to try it for a while and see what happens, maybe it's not sustainable.

#6 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have noticed this effect as well. If I sleep enough to get rid of my EDS, I have terrible headaches and brain fog. If I sleep less, I'm really tired and usually pretty depressed, but the headaches and brain fog are gone. I'm still groggy, but it's a normal type of groggy, not the my mind is melted into liquid brain putty type of brain fog.

#7 Serison

Serison

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

I forgot to mention headaches. It's more of a dull ache for me. With less sleep if feels like how I imagine it should feel with little sleep for a normal person and I'm more likely to nod off randomly but for me this is great, I can actually function, my mood is better and I can get things done. If I sleep more, brain melting into a liquid brain putty type of brain fog puts it perfectly and I'm useless for the day.

#8 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I have a theory that it's not just absence of SWS that causes N symptoms. I think too much REM, in and of itself, is harmful as well. It has been associated with mental disorder actually.

#9 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

The biggest difference my 7 months of Xyrem made is that I feel like I had a brick removed from my forehead. I don't catch me head dropping forward between blinks like the good old days.

For me, there seems to have been a certain energy that comes in that time between exhaustion and a complete crash. I especially noticed this when our twins were infants and our nights were sooo interrupted.

It is like watching a top spinning and spinning. It looks like it is standing straight and bumping around and then it just falls over. Now that I am no longer spinning to stand up, and no longer falling over (literally and figuratively), I have to learn to just stand straight up and stop bouncing around. I am starting to get accustomed to this and I prefer it. I am not relying on frantic energy to keep me moving.

#10 Serison

Serison

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I've noticed on the worst days, I'll wake up from intense vivid dreams. I think the longer I sleep the worse the dreaming get. I wonder if its not just the amount of rem sleep but consecutive rem sleep, usually it's broken up why slow wave sleep. Hence why napping helps and doesn't make things worse. The longer we sleep, the longer the rem session.

So if i don't sleep as long i feel better, but i imagine will end up crashing. I'm wondering if sleeping in two batches might work. Say 6 at night then another two in the afternoon.

Sometimes I get hyperactive and very silly, I'm bouncing around the place like I have adhd. But I know it's a bad sign, it means I'm going to have have a terrible crash.

#11 TiredAgain

TiredAgain

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I find weekends to be the worse. I never sleep through the night but in general I get about 6 hrs. I wake up on my own around 4-4:30 and feel better good, once I start moving my dogs want to go out, so I let them out and I'm back in bed 10mins later. Then I go into my best sleep for like an hour, but I'm so tired when I wake back up.

On the weekends I sleep off and on for 3/4 more hours and I am defiantly more tired all day. Naps are terrible for me but I still always lay down, because I want to sleep so I lay there till I do and when I do its like 10/15 mins. I'm grouchy when I get up for a while, but then I get a second wind.

I also get silly and hyper but only when I feel over tired, meaning when I get to the point that I'm so tired but can't sleep. Normally I get grouchy when a sleep episode hits and then the brain fog sets in. I really really hate the brain fog it always seems to hit when I'm at work or having a serious conversation.