Eating On Xyrem

xyrem lack of appetite hungry eating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jennel

jennel

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Live Irish Music, I'm really interesting until you ask me what my interests are...Social Butterfly by Day, Mopey Insomniac by Night ;)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Does anyone else have great difficulty eating on Xyrem? I feel sick with hunger but if I am able to force some food down I typically feel sick from that too. Anybody else go through this or have advice on how to cope? I'm thinking juices could be an option as there are some really good options out there...a bit of an investment though...Thx anyone with words to help!

#2 wisher

wisher

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:cookies, goats, cute things

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

I had some trouble with this when I was on Xyrem. Sometimes I would have to force myself to eat, because I just didn't FEEL like eating even though I knew I needed food. Are there any foods that don't bother you as much as others? Have you tried drinking protein shakes or something? I wouldn't recommend those for your sole source of nutrition, but perhaps they could help as a supplement.

#3 ApparentlyNarcoleptic

ApparentlyNarcoleptic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm having the same issue.  My appetite is completely gone and even the idea of eating is nauseating.  I do eat dinner every night, and a few day's I've actually gotten hungry and had lunch or a snack - but that's been a rarity.  I was considering picking up some Ensure or something to supplement during the day, and I'll occasionally eat protein bars.  I reported the decrease in appetite to the Xyrem people and they said it's not uncommon.  However, I still don't know WHY I'm not hungry and the idea of food makes me nauseous.  Has anyone figured it out?  Maybe it's a side effect that will go away with time?  I hope that's the case

#4 DLM

DLM

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I've had this same effect and when I started xyrem I lost 40 lbs very rapidly in three months. I was eating a lot less than usual. I was told this was because xyrem actually makes you sleep so you don't have the salt, sugar etc cravings to keep you awake anymore. They also said sleep boosts your metabolism. After being on it a year, I can say that it definitely makes some foods taste different (particularly really sugary foods). I don't eat them anymore. But my appetite intake has leveled off. I do find I don't snack much and eat smaller portions at meal times but the weight loss has stopped. I do at times eat, for the sake of eating. I've noticed that the salt in xyrem curbs my appetite so I feel that is why I don't eat or drink much, but at times make myself. I've done blood tests to make sure my levels are good and they are so drs say I'm eating enough, I was just eating too much before because my body felt it needed to have energy.

#5 britneyadams

britneyadams

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Law student.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've had this same effect and when I started xyrem I lost 40 lbs very rapidly in three months. I was eating a lot less than usual. I was told this was because xyrem actually makes you sleep so you don't have the salt, sugar etc cravings to keep you awake anymore. They also said sleep boosts your metabolism. After being on it a year, I can say that it definitely makes some foods taste different (particularly really sugary foods). I don't eat them anymore. But my appetite intake has leveled off. I do find I don't snack much and eat smaller portions at meal times but the weight loss has stopped. I do at times eat, for the sake of eating. I've noticed that the salt in xyrem curbs my appetite so I feel that is why I don't eat or drink much, but at times make myself. I've done blood tests to make sure my levels are good and they are so drs say I'm eating enough, I was just eating too much before because my body felt it needed to have energy.

I am so glad to hear this! My appetite is nonexistent.  There's light at the end of the tunnel!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xyrem, lack of appetite, hungry, eating